General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

99 disco still overheating

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 02:55 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 disco still overheating

OK guys I have been having problems with my disco 2 getting hot. I replaced the thermostat a few months ago and had no problems for a solid month. Then a while ago it started to heat up and I let it cool down and checked everything and couldn't find a problem. When I started it up again the problem seemed to go away on its own. I took it to a land rover dealer and they couldn't find any problems. Then today it was driving on the interstate and the car ran fine, when I got off and got in town it started to heat up. So my first thought was that the fan wasn't working. But it is!!! so what could be wrong?

Old 01-01-2009, 03:15 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts
Default RE: 99 disco still overheating

Do you know how to bleed the coolant system, are you having to replace any coolant, got any water noise in the dash, how about the heater does it blow hot at an idle????
Have you checked to make sure your electric fan is working, how about your mechanical, is the hub still good?

Old 01-01-2009, 07:22 PM
Three Wheeling

OK so update. I took the shroud off and the fan clutch is a little bit loose feeling. The electrical a/c fan is working properly as well. I am thinking about switching over to an electrical fan instead of the clutch.

As far as the water sound in the dash I do have that. I forgot to ask what it was but it has been making me curious. I know that in a vehicle with a regular radiator and cap, you leave the cap off and run the car while it bubbles out the air. Is the bleeding procedure the same for our setup with the cap on the resivior?

Old 01-02-2009, 09:30 AM
Administrator

You might want to PM me with your tele number, I'll be glad to call you and walk you thru what needs to be done.
Mike

Old 01-18-2009, 08:04 PM
4wd Low

Same thing happened to my 99 and I replaced the fan clutch, thermostat, and had the radiator flushed. Found out that the fan clutch was shot and the radiator was 85% plugged up. Works great now and that was a year ago.

Old 01-19-2009, 07:01 AM
Administrator

ORIGINAL: phidelt583

OK so update. I took the shroud off and the fan clutch is a little bit loose feeling. The electrical a/c fan is working properly as well. I am thinking about switching over to an electrical fan instead of the clutch.

As far as the water sound in the dash I do have that. I forgot to ask what it was but it has been making me curious. I know that in a vehicle with a regular radiator and cap, you leave the cap off and run the car while it bubbles out the air. Is the bleeding procedure the same for our setup with the cap on the resivior?
Don't even consider replacing your mechanical fan with an electric unless you are looking at a $800 plus outlay for a good European version.
As for bleeding, start with a cold cold engine, remove the bleed screw and with the engine off start adding coolant till you get a steady stream out thru the bleed screw, then reinstall the bleed screw and cap.