Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replaced Water Pump and Hose along with Thermostat - Still Overheating Plus other..

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 04:55 PM
4wd High
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replaced Water Pump and Hose along with Thermostat - Still Overheating Plus other..

The Forum Stories:
I have an '02 Discovery II: Have been reading/ searching the posts about replacing water pump, thermostat and people experiencing overheating.. I also have read about air in the system and how you have to take time with it... bleeding the system after flushing...

*My Story:
I replaced the water pump, thermostat and the three hoses connected to the bleed screw. After doing that my problem is similar with overheating which I have not completely been able to make stop, What's weird is the oil pump light is periodically coming on and sometime stays on... Also, have the Check Engine light on.. I hear a lot of ticking on the head. I might have blown a gasket because when the problem first started I might it drove it hot too long. My cousin a service manager said that after I discussed it with him... I didn't realize the water was leaking out of the water pump seal. Which I knew needed replacing.. I stoped at a gas station which didn't have water. I then decided after it cooled I would drive it 2 miles down the road to my house...Maybe a bad decision.

Does anybody have some idea of what is going on. Do I need to maybe check the compression?? or something. I'm a somewhat new to Land Rovers Discovery engine maintenance... & why do you think the oil pump light is starting to come on. Is the oil pump failing.

You're Divine Thoughts would be appreciated before I go mad.....

Old 02-16-2012, 07:17 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

If you were smart, you would quit driving it, get the fault code numbers and send me your number so I can call and hopefully walk you thru what to check.

Old 02-16-2012, 10:31 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Did you use OEM thermostat or after market - there have been posts about after markets "bad batch" that just don't open when they are supposed to.

When you say overheat, I bet you mean nailed to the rail and warning light on... that's cooked.

Oil light is coming one because oil pressure is below 7 PSI. Noise because of that as well. Oil could be fried from excess heat and too thin (like 10W30), or diluted because coolant dumped into the oil. Change oil, look for coolant in it (you dip stick isn't reading overfilled due to a coolant dump?). Use Rotella 15W40 dino oil for the moment, to see if the pressure comes back up. You can rent a pressure gauge and check oil pressure.

So the gas station did not sell bottled water? Don't look so expensive now, does it? The heat gauge if above 9:00 is already too hot. Don't wait until it gets to the shake and bake zone.

Old 02-24-2012, 02:27 PM
4wd High

Disco Mike, I'm still having overheat issues and have parked it.. I'm heading over to Auto Zone right now (As you suggested) to get what the codes are for the check engine light... Hopefully it will lead me into the right Direction.. on another note I notice it's still overheating and hwne I pull over to take a look (Hood Up) I notice the radiator is cool.. That may be an indication that the radiator is not functioning right or maybe as someone commented.. The water pump I replaced might be faulty. What a drag (After all that work I did). I will lety you know what the codes spit out...

Old 02-24-2012, 02:54 PM
Super Moderator

Thermostat stuck closed or opening way too late, or an awful lot of air in the system.

Old 02-25-2012, 01:27 AM
4wd High
Default RE: Codes

Disco Mike, here is the codes I'm getting:
P1590
P0332
P0118
PO308
P1300
P0306
P0304
P1668

Old 02-25-2012, 05:04 AM
Super Moderator

HG leak can cause the misfires, can be confirmed by exhaust gas in coolant test from auto parts store (about $50).

Old 02-25-2012, 06:51 AM
Administrator

1590 is for your 3 amigos
320 is a failed knock sensor bank 2
118 is for an engine coolant temp sensor high output
Misfires on 4,6,and 8 along
1668 is for engine anti-theft signal circuit high
You might want to send me your number and I'll call you this weekend.

Old 02-25-2012, 06:51 AM
Administrator

1590 is for your 3 amigos
320 is a failed knock sensor bank 2
118 is for an engine coolant temp sensor high output
Misfires on 4,6,and 8 along
1668 is for engine anti-theft signal circuit high
You might want to send me your number and I'll call you this weekend.

Old 02-25-2012, 03:33 PM
Super Moderator

118 is:

P0118 Engine coolant temperature circuit high input Short circuit to earth

That little extra blurb on the end would be "wire grounded" for ECT sensor.

page 319 of RAVE shop manual for D2.

Now if it was 1118 then it would be engine temp exceeded 284F certainly shake & bake in most people's book. PAge 322 of RAVE shop manual for D2.

Obviously if you are having extreme overheat problems the difference in these two similar codes would be a big issue.

Quick Reply: Replaced Water Pump and Hose along with Thermostat - Still Overheating Plus other..