General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

ACE Pump temp bypass

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 07:55 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ACE Pump temp bypass

Hey guys, im new here and hoping to get a little help from the experts, I just purchased my second discovery, its a beauty but the one problem is the ACE system is leaking pretty quick, im picking up the vehicule tomorow night and have to drive a few hundred kilometres, Ive been pocking around the site but could not find the answer. I need to temporarily bypass the ACE pump so I can get the vehicule home without causing damage to the engine, i was lucky enough to find a spare pump incase its busted, I have the 4.0 V8 and am wondering if I can just swap the belt to a shorter one to make it home or if I need some sort of pulley as well, any help would be much appreciated.

Old 03-14-2012, 09:14 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

From the RAVE shop manual, which you can download for free at link below:

In the event of an ECU or hydraulic failure the system will fail safe to a 'locked bars' condition. The 'locked bars' condition will allow the torsion bars to operate in a similar manner as conventional 'passive' anti-roll bars. Prolonged cornering forces will allow a progressive increase in roll angle due to hydraulic leakage through the actuators and valve block. Failures will be relayed to the driver by the illumination of the ACE warning lamp in the instrument pack. Faults are recorded by the ECU and can be retrieved using TestBook.

I would take that to mean that if the fuse or relay for this sytem was pulled, you would be able to drive cautiously. You might want to test that yourself in a safe area.

The fuse to pull is 29 under the dash. There is also a fuse 15 in the underhood box. But that just defeats the ACE, it does not turn off the pump.

The pump produces between 1900 and 2000 PSI. Running without fluid and it will be toast, plus trash circulated in the system will cause all manner of evil things to evolve rather rapidly. A shorter belt should be attempted. See belt route. Important that water pump not end up rotating the wrong way.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
d2 ace wiring.pdf (188.2 KB, 487 views)
d2 belt route.pdf (177.1 KB, 535 views)

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 03-14-2012 at 09:17 PM.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:52 PM
Drifting

Ive been looking through the manual, do you happen to have the belt diagram without the ACE, just seems like the Idler pulley would not have enough contact? Does this matter? BTW thanks for the info it is very much appreciated, Im new to the Land Rover world, I drove my older Discovery for about a month and am hooked, reason for me buying a newer more equipped one!

Old 03-15-2012, 04:45 AM
Super Moderator

see Discover Discovery Maintenance Tips, Accessories, Parts & More at Roverparts.com and if you are making a first run in a new2u Disco, carry some jugs of distilled water just in case, or buy a case of bottled water, take your scanner and monitor engine temps - plenty of new owners come to this forum with overheated on way home issues. Might also consider an oil change, even if you have to go to a pay4it place, just to be sure what is in there, check fluid levels in diffs and transfer case. There was a post from a guy who was stuck in Montana after diff drain plug was left out or fell out from a shop several states away....

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 03-15-2012 at 04:49 AM.
Old 03-15-2012, 08:54 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Remove the fuse, fill the system before heading out and take an extra bottle of p/s fluid with you. Check the level every hour initially to see how much you are still leaking, which should be less with the system power deleted.

Old 03-15-2012, 01:34 PM
Drifting

Hey Mike, I'm running 2 post on the same topic, I'm gonna try and delete the other one, just a quick question, is it regulare power steering fluid going in there, I'm gonna try and fill and remove fuses before changing the belt and see how it hold up, if its still coming out I guess ill do a road side belt swap lol

Old 03-15-2012, 02:34 PM
Super Moderator

From the RAVE shop manual:

ACE fluid
Where ambient temperature falls below -20
° C (-4°

F), use only Texaco cold climate power assisted
steering fluid PSF 14315. Where ambient
temperature remains above -20
° C (-4° F), use either
Texaco cold climate power assisted steering fluid ,

Dexron 11 or Dexron 111 non-synthetic fluid.

I think they mean Dexron II (2) or III (3) , not "one hundred eleven"

Old 03-15-2012, 10:48 PM
Drifting

Hey guys, thanks for all the info on the ace system, leak is in the back and rover dealer wants 1200 to replace, ill do that myself hopefully, my other concern was the other repair estimate, says the throttle body plate leaking coolant, 380 to replace hoses to intake and reservoir from t-body, I'm really hoping this has nothing to do with head gasket, truck has 222000km on it and I was assuming the head gasket had been done, any thoughts on what the dealer said?

Old 03-16-2012, 02:24 AM
Super Moderator

There are other options besides the dealer. See Throttle Body Heater Plate Kit (Genuine Part # MGM000010) | Land Rover And Range Rover Fuel System Parts, easy fix. Temp fix for trip is take both hoses off this, shove together with hose splice from autoparts store. This device prevents the throttle body from icing up below 36F.

But it can also leak out so much coolant you overheat. Be sure to top up coolant to 1/2 way point in coolant bottle, cap must be tight when done. Carry water with you to replenish cooling if needed. make checks every 1/2 to 1 hour of operation until you are sure nothing is sneaking out on you. The drive home has blown more head gaskets than you would imagine.

Attached is hose and water flow for the D2.

Attached Files
d2 coolant flow.pdf (724.2 KB, 211 views)

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 03-16-2012 at 02:29 AM.
Old 03-16-2012, 07:55 PM
Drifting

so i pulled fuse 15 from the engine, when i pull fuse 29 from the inside the truck wont start, its like there is no juice and key does nothing, should i be pulling while running? from the diagram in the truck, any ideas? belt looks like a pain to change and would rather just pop the fuses, engine is not overheating and coolant is fine

Quick Reply: ACE Pump temp bypass