General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Advice to find part for 1998 LR

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 09:01 AM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice to find part for 1998 LR

I recently purchased a 1998 Range Rover, which I love.

Unfortunately, I started having trouble when removing the key (an alarm for " ignition key in " would beep, although the key was out). Then suddenly the key became stuck, so I went to a locksmith, who was able to remove it but said I need a new key cylinder.

I called the dealership in Mobile, AL, which advised me the part was discontinued. I have called every parts store in our area, and none of them are able to get the part.

Has anyone else had this problem and found success locating an ignition cylinder? I am not even certain I'm calling this part by the correct name. I should have said earlier that I am a female with zero knowledge or experience when it comes to vehicle repair.

I would deeply appreciate any advice or suggestions. I am a single mom of three, so being without wheels poses major problems for us.

Old 01-30-2013, 09:10 AM
Mudding

Check Ebay. There are a few parts dismantlers (read: junkyards) that specialize in European cars/Land Rovers. Even if they don't have the part you need listed, you can contact them and ask. They might have a truck that still has the cylinder and matching key.
Or try the usual suspects: BPUtah, Rovafarm, Atlantic British, Partsgeek, I'm sure other members will have more ideas. Same thing: If the part isn't listed on their website, try calling them directly.

Old 01-30-2013, 09:11 AM
Mudding

Another idea: post in the "Parts wanted" section. A few members have trucks they are parting out and will probably be more than happy to help you.
Welcome to the Wacky World of Rovers, Good luck!

Old 01-30-2013, 09:13 AM
3rd Gear

Thank you sooooo much! I was unaware of the "usual suspects" you had mentioned. Very helpful!

Old 01-30-2013, 09:43 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by R White
Thank you sooooo much! I was unaware of the "usual suspects" you had mentioned. Very helpful!
You're quite welcome! Worst case scenario, there might be an aftermarket part or something from a different vehicle that will work. (Rovers are known for that sort of thing.) Or just take the whole thing out and start it with a screwdriver.

Just kidding