General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Airlock....

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 04:53 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Airlock....

My 2.5lt diesal is overheating. I have replaced the radiator, water pump and thermostat but the problem still exists! The symtoms include: after a short time driving the cabin heater ceases, then the thermostat goes off the scale. When I investigate I find the coolant boiling without any loss of coolant. The top hoses are mad hot and rock hard. My non Land Rover mechanic is fast runningout of ideas. He has also checked the head gasket, using a dye solution and is convinced there's no issue there. I feel myself thatthere may be an airlock.

Can someone please give me some idea as to "bleed" this system. Also, is it possible that thecabin heater radiator is causing this issue?

Many thanks

Old 02-10-2008, 09:08 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts
Default RE: Airlock....

I wish I could walk you thru the bleeding process, but I don't have any diesel back ground.
As for the heater, it is not causing the problem but is in fact one of the end results of your problem, air being trapped in the coolant system and little or no coolant going thru.

Old 02-10-2008, 11:59 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Airlock....

Thanks Mike, I had it out for a test spin a short while ago and of course the same thing happened again and I discovered that as soon as the thermostat goes off the scale, the engine begins to quite (naturally!), but within moments starts to cool again and away I go! This cycle seems to start/stop every 3 miles or so andstill no loss of coolant. Also, I've just discovered a small leak of coolant into the foot well, I guess this is coming from the heater radiator (whatever this means)!

Nice to talk to you

John