General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Alarm Going Off Randomly

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2013, 04:43 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alarm Going Off Randomly

Hello

I know this has been discussed on threads before.. I'm a newbie here so hopefully I can get to the bottom of this.

My wife's has LR LR2...2008. She loves it... For the last year the alarm has been going off randomly.. Usually in the middle of the night. She took it to our mechanic who disabled the alarm thru the fuse....but that disabled the horn.. not a good solution.

So I did some research and from what I have read the culprit is probably the hood alarm sensor.. I can get one for $20 bucks... Some of the posts I have read said it takes 30 seconds to put in.

However I looked and can't see an easy way to see it under the latch and/or unplug and replace it. Are there any videos that you are aware of on this.

Does it really only take 30 seconds to put in a new one.
What are odds this solves the problem long term.
Also hope I'm putting this in the right forum discussion.

Thank you for any advice.

Old 10-06-2013, 09:47 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Can you just unplug it? I did on my D1. If you ever need to jump off a dead battery you will find out why.

Old 10-07-2013, 09:37 AM
3rd Gear

hello

What is the best way to unplug the alarm. I tried the fuse but it disables the horn.

I found some posts about doing some patch wiring to complete the circuit but could not find a youtube on how to do it.

Old 10-07-2013, 09:44 AM
3rd Gear

More info on Hood Latch alarm replacement.

Found this youtube video. Jim at Atlantic British.

My question: Is this the same on a LR2. Are the same hood grille and bolts the same to take off. I tried to look at the alarm connection but the hood grill is getting in the way and I have to take off more of the front of the car.

I was able to get the same part at the dealership..So now the trick is to do it and then put everything back together without it taking hours. I'm a novice so don't want to be stuck with one of the steps.

I would like to do the short that was described in some of the fixes on the alarm just to make sure it's the hood alarm that is at fault.

Thanks again for any help.

Old 10-08-2013, 03:46 PM
Drifting
Default Hood alarm switch

The switch in your LR2 is same used in LR3 and Sport. The switch is attached to the passenger side hood latch. There is a single bolt holding a bracket that is removed first. Process is same as in video. Listen to those guys, they know what they are doing.