General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Another Newbie in a jam

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 04:57 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Another Newbie in a jam

Hi,

Come back to the Land Rover scene after some years away. Last owned a series III, now gone a got me one of them there Defenders!

just got a 1985 110 diesel (2.5 N/A) and having some problems sorting out the glow plug system. They are not heating up, so starting is bit long and then clouds of diesel smoke. Have fitted now heater plugs, but looking at the wiring diagram I have, it seems to run a wire to the dash light (which only comes on when turning key right round to start position, and a second wire going to ignition barrel.

Am I missing a step? is there a heater plug relay in there somewhere.

Any help welcome and well recieved as wife not so excited to see fog roll in every morning when I start up. If anyone has a proper wiring diagram or link to one, also welcomed.

Mark

Old 01-25-2010, 03:40 AM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure specifically about how the Rover diesels are set up, but on most modern diesels, there is a glow plug control relay that controls how long the glow plugs come on. I would think the wire that turns on when the key is on the Run position should go to this controller, not directly to the glow plugs. The only other setup I can think of are some old-school vehicles that have a button or switch to manually turn on the glow plugs.