General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Any plans flr LR to have diesel models in Can/US?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2005, 01:54 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Any plans flr LR to have diesel models in Can/US?

Good day to you all,

I'm wondering if anyone has any information with regard to LR planning on releasing any diesel engine models in Canada or the USA. Being from Canada I've yet to see this engine option even though it's been a staple in the UK market. I'd appreciate any feed back on this topic.

Thanks for your time and effort in this matter.

tech870

Old 03-01-2005, 04:13 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Any plans flr LR to have diesel models in Can/US?

It might happen, depends how the market share/demand goes, to see if it it is worth while exporting them, and also the fuel situation.

Here in the UK their is a move now towards using veggie diesel, at present it is still 10% veggie to 90% mineral diesel, but the balance will shift soon as the governement introduces lower taxes for veggie diesel to encourage it's use for it's more environmental friendliness... (also doesn't produce the particulates that mineral does)

Old 03-01-2005, 10:52 PM
Winching

I doubt it in the USA. It costs about $100K US to certify A engine in the States. Based on LR's market share, that would make it a very tough sell. Not to mention that low sulfur diesel fuel is not readily available in the US as in the UK. Correct me if I'm wrong Lighting.

The US public has A bad view of the diesel engine. For one because of the smoke and smell from high sulfur diesel fuel. The second reason is from GM's diesel debacle in the 80's. They tried to convert their V-8 petrol engine to diesel. Needless to say none of these engines are still running. They all blew up. Broken cranks, etc.

The last reason being, fuel is still relatively cheap in the States, at under $ 2 per gallon for petrol and diesel.

That's great that the UK is promoting veggie fuel ! Unfortunately I don't think you will ever see big oil Bush do that here. Oops ! Sorry for the political slant.

It may be turning around soon. Daimler- Chrysler is going to produce diesel powered vehicles this year in the States. VW also sells diesels here. Time will tell...

Old 03-02-2005, 12:54 AM
Three Wheeling

I appreciate the feed back from both of you.
It's something that I've been wondering about for some time. You did mention that another large car maker with a certian SUV *no names no pack drill* did put a diesel engine as a power plant. I checked out the specs on it and I was impressed. The horse power wasn't the issue but it was the 300 foot pounds of torque that caught my eye. I"m not sure if the grade of diesel is any different in Canada then it is in the US but it is still 20 odd cents cheaper then gas. I can say that I'm going to be in the market for a rover here next year and I had hopes that a diesel might be comming to the frozen north.

Again thank you for getting back to my question.

tech870

Old 03-02-2005, 03:27 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Bait

fuel is still relatively cheap in the States, at under $ 2 per gallon for petrol and diesel.
if only

Old 03-02-2005, 04:20 AM
Rock Crawling

I think your right Bait, it is costly to get engines tested, though it might happen one day as now Land Rover are using Jaguar/Ford engines, it might be easier to get through in future models.

I think the rest of the wordl see Bush as an oil man too, which is why I think the rest of the world are rushing to find alternative fuel soruces.

Don't even mention fuel costs here, cost me 82p per litre last night... and that was for diesel.. luckily I get 60 odd miles per gallon with the Rover 25..

Old 03-03-2005, 12:43 AM
Winching

I here ya on the Bush oil man Lighting. I think bio-diesel and/or alternative fuels are the future.

tech870, Do you know who makes the engine for the diesel Darango ?

Old 03-03-2005, 01:55 AM
Three Wheeling

Good day to you all,

Bait:

I wasn't refering to the Dodge Durango, but the Jeep Liberty (2005) for the 05 modle year they put a Common Rail diesel engine as the power plant and it had impressive results for fuel economy and performance. I spent about a half hour tryng to find out who made the power plant and couldn't come up with anything, my girlfriend has an 04 Liberty so I might make a call the dealership to find out.
Let me know if this a "need to know" or a "nice to know" issue.

Regardless of the previously stated auto maker above, my heart is still set on owning the best. Now I just need to get rid of my truck....

Old 03-03-2005, 08:57 PM
6th Gear

I feel I must respond to the "big oil Bush" comments. The Energy bill, which finally passed last year after being blocked for 2 years by the Democrats, offers a tax break of 1 cent for each % biodiesel blended with mineral. Example: 20% soy, 20 cent discount. I have been using soydiesel for two years in farm machinery and trucks with great results. I think diesel cars will slowly gain acceptance.

Old 03-03-2005, 11:10 PM
Winching

Thanks for correcting me on the Liberty Diesel , tech870. It's just an ' nice to know ' issue, thanks for asking. Diesel fuel is about the same cost as petrol on the East coast now. It usually drops lower in the summer due to less demand for home heating oil.

I hear ya Dave77. Politics can get very opinionated. Probably should not have gone there. This web site is too young for A political thread. Although I have seen them be quite successful on other sites. We'll save it for A later date, agreed ?

I have been using soydiesel for two years in farm machinery and trucks with great results.
That's interesting. I thought you could not use more than a 20% blend of bio-diesel without changing over to Viton fuel lines and seals ? I also hope diesels will gain more acceptance in the States.

Quick Reply: Any plans flr LR to have diesel models in Can/US?