General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Recommended Spark plugs and wires

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2018, 04:47 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recommended Spark plugs and wires

I am in process of doing a tune up on my 03 disco II (I think, long story title doesn’t say it but Land Rover mechanic told me it was a disco II) and was told to look up online which is recommended. Also so I’ve had some issues, I’ve replaced the CPS, starter, got a new battery, and even a splicer to fix the loose positive battery cable connect. Well it started doing the not starting deal again, thought maybe alternator but we hit the starter and then it started, the starter has lifetime warranty so that’s not an issue but this whole going into limp mode once but in awhile after it misses (I’ll be driving and outta nowhere it will miss hard like miss gear or something it then goes into limp mode and other times don’t and then don’t miss again but at stops will idle funny) so anyhow other than what spark plugs and wires everyone recommends....does anyone have a clue as to what could be wrong? Maybe some sorta power loss somewhere? Bad connect idk? Or can New plugs/wires possibly fix this issue? Thank you so much for any help given!

Old 01-20-2018, 10:27 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2,239 Likes on 1,662 Posts

I'd check your XYZ switch for the limp mode issue. Check your grounds and battery terminal connections as well as the leads down to the starter.

Tune up wise NGK Double Platinum/Iridium Plugs, STI, NGK, Kingsborne, or Magnacor wires.

Old 01-22-2018, 09:11 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hope this reply makes it where it should. Kinda hard figuring out this mobile way but yes it has got to be something like that, right now taking a short 30min drive from home it went into limp mode 3x. It jerks real hard once or twice before the M and S green lights start to flash. And I bought Bosch more expensive plugs than what came out of it, apparently if had 4.99 ones in it and I replaced w 6.99 ones. Getting the plug wires today but this limp mode deal is really effecting my driving abilities :/
ITS Doing way worse now w new starter and plugs I just not sure. Is there anyway to check this xyz switch before throwing out the $300+ for it?

Old 01-23-2018, 01:00 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,239 Likes on 1,662 Posts

Try adjusting it by loosening the 2 10mm bolts & moving it one way or the other. Classic XYZ switch failure/adjustment issue. Check with Abran or Paul Grant on a good used xyz switch.