General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Axle won't separate from Wheel Bearing Assembly

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2018, 02:28 PM
4wd Low
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Axle won't separate from Wheel Bearing Assembly

I decided, after a small road trip in the 2006 LR3 I bought for my daughter, to replace nearly all the front suspension. Lower control arms, inner and outer tie rods, and wheel bearing assemblies. Watched all the videos posted around and nothing I hadn't encountered before so I went for it. Everything has gone smoothly for the most part (as smooth as any suspension job goes on a car with 161K on it) except for the drivers side wheel bearing assembly. The axle shaft won't push back through the wheel bearing to remove it. Basically the entire wheel bearing assembly and axle shaft move together. I've tried everything I can think of to separate them. Beat the axle with a hammer, hit it with an air hammer. 3 jaw puller with an impact driver on it, and have gone through almost a full can of PB blaster on it. It almost seems like the splines have welded themselves together in there. Any suggestions on what to try next? Trying to avoid having to cut the axle and replace the axle and wheel knuckle.

Thanks

Old 05-21-2018, 05:18 PM
4wd Low
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Want to leave this here for future reference if anyone has the same problem.

I am surprised no one else anywhere I could find on the internet has used it. I saw large pullers couple with heat taking hours to do what eventually only took less than 3 minutes to do. Most home garage mechanics won't have access to it, but this thing worked wonders.....

Literally, after getting the jaws in place, took less than 30 secs to pop it out. As easy as it was to use, I am surprised I didn't find this method anywhere publizied as a solution for a struck axle. Maybe its the cost of the Enerpac system, but for the life of me can't figure out why a professional mechanic wouldn't have one of these versus torches and impact wrenches on pullers...