General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Both back passenger windows will not go down

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 05:13 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Both back passenger windows will not go down

If anyone has had this problem or has any ideas it would be greatly appreciated!
Both my back passenger windows will not go down. I thought it was just the fuse but it wasn't. When you press either of the buttons for the window it makes no noise or any attempt to go down. Any ideas?

Old 04-04-2012, 07:48 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Well without knowing exactly what year and model you have we really cant help you.
I can make a educated guess that you have a DI, this is common on the DI, it is a cracked window lift ECU circuit board.
It is behind the glove box liner, remove it, resolder it, put it back, windows work.

Old 04-05-2012, 10:06 AM
4wd Low

Oh Sorry, yes your guess was correct i have a 98 land rover discovery LSE I got an answer in a different thread. Exactly the same answer as yours plus a link that tell you step by step. Thanks

Old 04-12-2012, 08:24 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 04-18-2012, 08:33 PM
Three Wheeling

I have this problem as well. Well sort of, sometimes the passanger rear windows will roll down if using the center console controls, like the past few days they have been working but they have never worked from the rear passanger controls.

Old 04-24-2012, 11:51 PM
4wd Low
Default This is driving me nuts

Ok so I took the ecu out and resolder the circuit board to try and fix my back windows so they would roll down. Well I fixed the back windows but now the front ones will not roll up. I can hear a click sound coming from the ecu and the window motor. Now what's really got me is that it clicks now even when I do not touch the window button. The window motor will click on the drivers side then click on the passanger side. Just back and forth. Also noticed that when I hit the drivers side window button it does not make a click in the ecu like the passanger side does. Now what's even worse is that it does it when the keys are not in the ignition. I have to unplug the negative battery terminal to get the clicking to stop. Does anybody have a clue to what the deal is. Please help it's very frustrating. Also heard you can hard wire the windows up but not sure how to do that.

Old 06-03-2012, 03:47 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Jmcavscout
Also noticed that when I hit the drivers side window button it does not make a click in the ecu like the passanger side does. Now what's even worse is that it does it when the keys are not in the ignition. I have to unplug the negative battery terminal to get the clicking to stop. Does anybody have a clue to what the deal is.
I have a clue, but unfortunately not much helpful advice. It sounds like you did what I seemed to have done, which was poor soldering that wound up damaging or jumpering something. In my case, after I "fixed" the bad solder (so I thought...it was ugly), my drivers window went down and apparently the motor kept running (I did not notice at the time), even after I turned the car off. I went to start it 2 days later and bam! ZERO power! It had drained the battery something fierce. I got another ECU from a junkyard (scored with a recent addition at the same year that had not yet been picked cleaned!) which fixed the front window, but now both back windows don't work at all (my drivers side rear would go down but not up, but passenger rear and other worked fine).

Old 06-10-2012, 11:30 PM
Rock Crawling

I too have the same problem thanks for the link filbs!

Old 03-03-2017, 12:44 PM
4th Gear

I have an 07 Land Rover LR3. Both my rear windows will no operate with either their own switch nor the main driver door switch. not noise or anything. the light on them comes on so you can see the switch at night but that's about it. What if anything, can I do myself to fix this? I am pretty mechanically inclined so I hope it's something I can do myself. thanks for any help.

Old 03-03-2017, 05:08 PM
TReK
Received 760 Likes on 628 Posts

Five years since this thread was active...

Quick Reply: Both back passenger windows will not go down