General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Bought LR with no thermostat - put in new one - problems!?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 10:04 AM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bought LR with no thermostat - put in new one - problems!?!?!

I bought a 97 Disco and discovered it was running cool when it snowed one day. I figured I had a stuck thermostat, so I got in there, and discovered there was NO thermostat. I put in a failsafe, drove about 300 miles or so, and I broke down. Here's what happened:

On my way up the mountain, I had a sudden loss of power. I'd give it gas, no good, I was just slowing down. I stopped and popped the hood, it was very warm in there, though the temp reading was good.

I checked fluid levels, the coolant was slightly low, so I topped it off. Oil was good, the oil had been changed maybe 1000 miles prior.

After I started it up again, I noticed there was a slight clack-clack-clack sound coming from the lower end. It sounded almost as if it was an oil problem, not like I busted a rod or anything.

After the engine cooled off, I was able to drive it another 25 miles. We were moving and I had the movers on the clock so I couldn't take the time to tow. I lost power again, and same problem. The engine noise was no worse off than before.

Later that night I got it again and was able to get it to the house, where it's been sitting ever since. My wife's car needed repairs so it has been in the driveway since then, about two months ago.

So my question is: Is there a problem that the guy who sold it to me may have known about, something that is fixed by taking the thermostat out? He works at Pikes Peak Rovers in Colorado Springs. He banked on the reputation of the shop to sell me the vehicle — privately — and he would be skilled in repairs I imagine. What sort of engine problem, coolant flow? Overheating in a certain part of the engine? Has it done too much damage or can I remove the thermostat and have a working rover again?

I appreciate any information you guys can give.

Old 03-12-2010, 10:19 AM
8th Gear

I can't help you with your problem, but I am very interested to see what responses you get. I bought a 97 Disco about two years ago and have had slight problems with the coolant system from the get go. I replaced the expansion tank and a few hoses and the problems became very sporadic. Anyway, last week the overflow cap started venting after about five minutes of running the motor. I took it to a mechanic who, in order to find out what was wrong went to check the thermostat and, guess what....there wasn't one. So he put one on yesterday. No problems yet, but I'm not driving far until I get a replacement cap for the expansion tank (that was his conclusion on what went wrong).

Old 03-12-2010, 12:08 PM
6th Gear

After some extensive research, I think it may be a cracked head gasket. I'll have to start it up and smell the exhaust to see if there's any coolant leaking through.

Old 03-18-2010, 07:13 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

very interesting... wonder what ended up happening??

any thoughts people??

thanks...