General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

British Northwest Land Rover/ Dare Britannia, Ltd. /Charles Kellogg

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2017, 11:42 AM
Super Moderator
Received 1,465 Likes on 1,196 Posts

https://www.bbb.org/western-washingt...ia-wa-86000388

Just putting this in here since the BBB lists previous business names to show the link to this shady business

Be sure to go rate him on facebook, yelp etc to make sure others get the word that it is business as usual for him with a new name.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/dare-britannia-ltd-olympia

www.facebook.com/darebritannia

and don't forget to write a Google Review

Made this a sticky as well

Last edited by ArmyRover; 09-02-2017 at 11:56 AM.
Old 07-19-2022, 08:10 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have some inquiries if it’s not too much trouble, guide me about this. These inquiries are displayed underneath here:

https://landroverforums.com/forum/ge...s-state-72626/

Sitting tight for most appropriate response straightaway. I’m excessively confounded here

Old 07-23-2022, 05:08 PM
TReK
Received 489 Likes on 424 Posts

You need to give way more information in your post. There’s no way I’m going to click on a link without it.

Old 11-21-2022, 03:59 PM
4wd Low
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I have never hired Charles Kellogg or Dare Brittania to restore a Land Rover. We restore Land Rovers here on the East Coast, at Robison Service.
I've written about Land Rovers and other cars for a long time.
Over the years I have had occasion to order various parts from Charles, and never had an issue. He has a vast knowledge of the details on 1960s Series trucks.
Charles has also sent some restoration clients of his to us for ongoing service (they live in the East and he is in Oregon) and that has worked out well. As far as I know, all those folks were/are happy with Charles.

Some of the things I am reading above suggest there may be a misailgnment between what is customary and and what was expected when it comes to restoring Land Rovers. By way of qualification, I can say that I've restored and serviced Land Rovers for 30+ years, along with Maserati, Iso, Bizzarini, Bentley and other cars. Our restorations have won on every major show field in North America. With that as background, I look at the posts above expecting complete restorations for mid-five figure sums.

Restoring any vehicle to a Pebble Beach or Concours of America level will take thousands of hours of labor. If you go through the mechanicals (as we do) when you do the cosmetics, the time and costs more than double. Even at a $100/hour labor rate, these projects can and do run several hundred thousand dollars. Obviously you can do less than a whole restoration, but still, good work like this is costly. We have found it impossible to estimate these jobs in advance, except in the most general way, because you never know what teardown will reveal. The best we can do is to be good communicators, and show our clients what we are doing, week by week. When we report in weekly, they can see where their dollars are going, and it's not so much time packed into one report that they can't make sense of it.

We send written descriptions of work, photos, and sometimes videos. We want our clients to understand what they are paying us to do.

The work often goes on longer than people hope, and sometimes costs more than they hoped, but if the quality is good, that is the memory that lasts. In this, you get what you pay for. When someone wants to spend less, I can show them what we can do to spend less. Most often, people decide against compromise and do what the vehicle tells us. Disputes over our work are very rare. For the most part, people ask us for quality, not price.

I am not taking any side in this thread, but I would like to make the point that a restoration is the start of a multi year relationship in most cases, and communication and "getting along" are paramount, right from the beginning. Time spent talking before the job starts is time well spent, if it saves heartaches like this later on.