General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

A/C trouble in Phoenix heat!

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2018, 12:34 AM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy A/C trouble in Phoenix heat!

So I have read as many threads as I can so feel free to redirect if needed.
I purchased a used 2006 RRS 4.4L off a used lot that had been auctioned. The A/C was marginal so I took it to a local shop, they threw gauges on it added some Freon. Pressures are good, compressor seems to work fine, couldn't see any obvious leaks and had it blowing 41 degrees out the vents. Awesome! Yet I go pick it up after it has been sitting in the parking lot baking in 107 degree heat and all I get is hot air, dang.
Shop says they saw no codes on there scanner, which doesn't go very deep into Rover territory, and suggested taking it to a specialty shop. So I jump on the forums and read... lots of good learning. I try everything that I see.
So here is what I see and feel in the truck. First the ECON button is off and the compressor appears to be operating. Air moves to all levels of vents with either manual of auto controls, blower works fine. Hot air blowing out back seat vents. Doing the hold econ/recirc button thingy shows no faults. Also no faults on dash.
So here is where I get lost. It appears that if the cabin is HOT the A/C cooling shuts down. I tested it a number of times today with it sitting in my garage with ambient temperature reading 106. The only way I got any cool air was if I manually set it to the floor position and it would blow cold air for about 20 seconds before returning to hot. Only hot air from other vents. Then tonight it is "cooler"," ambient temp in garage in 94 and I get some cold air from all vent settings. It seems to oscillate from cooler to warmer every few seconds but never gets really cold.
So I am guessing I have either a controller problem or some other dash issue.
Help, the wife wants to go camping!

UPDATE- So this morning I go and start the truck and it blows cold air right away, good and cold. I did notice the truck idling weird during the heat yesterday and last night when it kind of blew cold. It was idling around 1000 but would speed up and slow down just a bit around 1000. This morning it starts idling around 1000 then settles down to around 800ish after a bit and keeps blowing cold.

Last edited by AZRover18; 06-05-2018 at 08:58 AM.
Old 06-10-2018, 07:46 PM
Mudding
Received 44 Likes on 42 Posts

On other vehicles when the engine is running hotter than normal it will deactivate the clutch to the AC compressor not sure if that is the problem you are running into but next time that happens and the AC is blowing hot open up the hood and check if the AC clutch is engaged.

The following users liked this post:
AZRover18 (06-10-2018)
Old 06-10-2018, 11:34 PM
5th Gear

Icannap1,
Sound advice, I will check that if I need to. However, turns out the first place read the fill tables wrong and filled the system to the level for a truck with the rear A/C. I took it to a Indy RR shop and they found this issue and corrected it. Now we are cooling as best we can in this AZ heat.

Old 06-11-2018, 07:46 PM
Mudding
Received 44 Likes on 42 Posts

That's great. Keep it cool for the summer AZ heat with the AC.

Old 06-27-2018, 02:57 AM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Icannap1
On other vehicles when the engine is running hotter than normal it will deactivate the clutch to the AC compressor not sure if that is the problem you are running into but next time that happens and the AC is blowing hot open up the hood and check if the AC clutch is engaged.
I agree with you on this one. I think that it's necessary to check if the AC Clutch is engaged in order for you to determine if it is the error especially nowadays that the temperature is really high. just don't let the summer heat beat your vacation. discover the cause of if by manually checking it