General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Code reader in San Antonio

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 10:57 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Code reader in San Antonio

I am having a problem finding a shop in San Antonio that can read my codes and reset the computer. I have an intermittent problem with the 3 warning lights, TC, ABS and Hill descent. I have tried to deal with the Land Rover dealer here, but that hasn't worked out for me. Actually, they made kind of mad one day because they wanted $900 for a towing hitch. They are way too expensive for me.

I would just like to get the codes read and the computer reset and then decide what to do after I know what is wrong. Is $200 normally what one would pay for that service?

I am in San Antonio and would really appreciate a recommendation.

Thanks,
Bob

2001 Discovery ll, 119,000 miles strictly anin town driver.

Old 05-22-2008, 06:18 AM
TReK
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Code reader in San Antonio

Try http://.texasrovers.org/

They have a Land Rover club in San Antonio and may know a Repair shop that can help.
The software that is needed to read the ABS system is for Rovers only.

Old 05-22-2008, 06:46 AM
Three Wheeling

This vehicle is OBD2 compliant - if you're talking about fault codes which trigger your check engine light you can read them yourself with an OBDI II code reader - these are available starting at around $50 (from harborfreight.com) and up depending on the level of sophistication and features.....however the european codes are a bit different than here so you'll need to get thecode list ....you can find that at http://www.robisonservice.com/servicedep/rover_obd2.asp

Old 05-22-2008, 09:30 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

ORIGINAL: bhorwhat

This vehicle is OBD2 compliant - if you're talking about fault codes which trigger your check engine light you can read them yourself with an OBDI II code reader - these are available starting at around $50 (from harborfreight.com) and up depending on the level of sophistication and features.....however the european codes are a bit different than here so you'll need to get the code list ....you can find that at http://www.robisonservice.com/servicedep/rover_obd2.asp

No you can't, the only code that a hand scanner may pull up is a 1590 ABS/Rough Road fault that goes along with the trio. To access ABS codes, you must find a scanner that is capable of going that far into the ECU.

Old 05-22-2008, 09:32 AM
Administrator

ORIGINAL: Sharpfocus

I am having a problem finding a shop in San Antonio that can read my codes and reset the computer. I have an intermittent problem with the 3 warning lights, TC, ABS and Hill descent. I have tried to deal with the Land Rover dealer here, but that hasn't worked out for me. Actually, they made kind of mad one day because they wanted $900 for a towing hitch. They are way too expensive for me.

I would just like to get the codes read and the computer reset and then decide what to do after I know what is wrong. Is $200 normally what one would pay for that service?

I am in San Antonio and would really appreciate a recommendation.

Thanks,
Bob

2001 Discovery ll, 119,000 miles strictly an in town driver.
Are your 3 Amigos on all the time or come and go? Do your wheels have lots of brake dust on them, do your brakes squeak, what brand of brake pads are you running???????????????????

Old 05-22-2008, 10:19 AM
4wd Low

Thanks everyone for the help.

Mike, the Amigos come and go. Sometimes going a day or two without showing up. I tried replacing the rotors and brake pads to see if that would fix it, but no luck. I got the new brakes on eBay and they were supposed to be oem. Not a lot of dust on the wheels, it gets washed once a week. There is a small squeek at one point when you press the brake, press it harder and it goes away, let up just a little and it also goes away.

I have had the Discovery for just over a year and have had no other problems other than an exhause leak at the manifold that was a cheap fix (welded).

Lots of power, starts instantly and pulls a trailer like a dream. I don't put a lot of miles on it so I hope it lasts me a long time.

Bob

Old 05-22-2008, 11:42 AM
Administrator

Got to fix the squeak first. Remove the brake pads and apply alot of sound deadening material to the back of the pads. This should help.
No since trying to get codes read till you handle the squeak first.

Old 05-29-2008, 01:38 PM
4wd Low

The warning lights were coming on before the squeek started, I don't know if that means anything or not.

I don't know anything about sound deadening material. Is it a liquid that can be painted on? Do I have to glue it on? Do I really have to take off the pads? It seems like I can get to the back of the pads just fine without having to remove the pads?Can I put the sound deadening material on like that? If I have to take the pads off should I check to see if the sensors are dirty and also should I maybe try to reset them if they look crooked?

All of these things are probably beyond my area of expertise and I probably shouldn't try to do it myself (learned from experience).

If I have the codes read before I put on the sound deadening material will that nullify the findings? (It is such a small squeek.)

Does anyone know anyone in San Antonio that has the capability to read and reset the codes on a Land Rover besides the dealer?

Sorry to be such a bother.

Bob

Old 05-29-2008, 02:38 PM
Administrator

Bob, e-mail me your tele number and a good time for me to call you.
mikeljacobs@comcast.net

Old 07-02-2008, 11:52 PM
4wd Low

Mike, this is crazy, but I did what you said and tested the brakes by going 40 mph and then hitting the brakes. I stood on them as hard as I could. I felt something but I am not sure if it is what you were describing or not.

Here is the crazy part: My warning lights have not come on since then (almost a month). Did I fix something?

Bob

Quick Reply: Code reader in San Antonio