General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Coil Pack Bracket is Loose and Won't Bolt Down

Old 09-09-2017, 09:19 PM
Mudding
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Coil Pack Bracket is Loose and Won't Bolt Down

My D2 had a fault code for #6. Replaced the plugs. Tested each spark plug wire and found no spark in #6. Bought new wires and two new coil packs, should they be needed. Chose to initially not pull off the top of the engine (plenum) and see if I could do it via the removal of everything that is not bolted down. What I found was (as usual) irritating. It would seem that someone previously had either replaced or attempted to replace the wires and/or coils and did not quite put it all back together. I can see why. The mounting bracket that holds the coils cannot be made to line-up with the threades holes on the engine block.

So ... I'm looking for help. What's in the way that won't allow it to bolt down? They are Bosch coils, so I will assume they are the right size and type. And ... are their two more holes and bolts on the bottom that I cannot see? Or will it all now just slip out when I get back to work and pull off the wires in the morning? However, that cannot happen until I can get the bracket mounted up flush against the engine. Otherwise I do not have enough room to pull off the wires.

Old 09-09-2017, 10:01 PM
TReK
Received 758 Likes on 626 Posts

Yes, that bracket has four holes. Two at the top and two at the bottom. If the bottom bolts are loosened you might be able to move the bracket enough to get the top holes to line up.
A number of people have reported that their misfires go away when the coil bracket is grounded properly, so that might be your problem right there.

Old 09-10-2017, 08:11 AM
Mudding
Default Bottom Holes are also empty

Got pictures of both the side/bottom holes on the coil pack mounting bracket. They are also not attached, but in their case I do not see anything they would attach to.

I did track down that the bolt size for the top of the coil pack mounting bracket is M6 x 12. I'll get a couple of those and use a bit of leverage to see if I can get the coil packs to mount, and hopefully to ground.

Old 09-10-2017, 08:21 AM
TReK

Aren't there bolt holes a little to the left of where each of those lower bracket holes is currently sitting?

Old 09-10-2017, 10:52 AM
Mudding
Default Bolts in. Found the missing holes.

Old 09-10-2017, 10:58 AM
Mudding

Now ... how do I get to those four spark plug wires on the bottom? Do I pull the four top wires so I can get down to the bottom four? Or do I pull out the complete coil assembly, put on the bottom four wires, thread them around the engine, then attach the coil assembly and mount the last four wires once in place?

Old 09-10-2017, 02:25 PM
Mudding
Default Nuts ...

The long-shot hope that the coil wasn't grounded, or that the #6 wire was bad did not turn out. In fact things are now worse. Now I've got misfires in #6 and #1. Could be the spark plug wire isn't properly seated on #1. I'll let the D2 and myself cool down before I recheck all connections.

I did attempt to pull/replace the coils, but that appears to be physically impossible without removing the plenum/top of the engine.

So ... with new plugs and new wires my next stop is replacing the coil packs. That is an unpleasant thought.

Old 09-10-2017, 04:43 PM
TReK
Received 199 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by JettsRover
Got pictures of both the side/bottom holes on the coil pack mounting bracket. They are also not attached, but in their case I do not see anything they would attach to.

I did track down that the bolt size for the top of the coil pack mounting bracket is M6 x 12. I'll get a couple of those and use a bit of leverage to see if I can get the coil packs to mount, and hopefully to ground.

As far as I know, as long as you secure it properly you wont have problem with grounding. It cant be grounded, the entire coilpack casing is non conductor or the sparks will be allover. Cheeers

Old 09-10-2017, 04:45 PM
TReK

Since the coils are so cheap for these trucks, most people seem to recommend changing them when you change the plugs and wires. I think you're correct that you can't really get them out without taking off the lower intake manifold.

Last edited by mollusc; 09-10-2017 at 06:47 PM.
Old 09-10-2017, 04:51 PM
TReK
Received 199 Likes on 176 Posts

True, especially when you have an SAI tubes covering the entire coil packs. I'm not sure how and I think you can slide it out towards the driver side without the wires installed, but thats very difficult and I guess not. Cant remember now thou.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Coil Pack Bracket is Loose and Won't Bolt Down