General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Coolant leak at intake

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 12:06 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant leak at intake

Looks like the deal I got on my new Disco is being overshadowed by my ever increasing list of must fixes. Let me preface this by saying I am new to LR’s and while I am by no means a professional mechanic, I can usually do my own repairs. My 2003 Discovery sprung a leak in the coolant system, where one line from the coolant reservoir and the other from the thermostat(??) meet with the air tube from the air cleaner just under where the throttle cables connect. It’s not leaking from the lines themselves or at the clamps, I don’t know what it is called but it’s where there is a seam under the throttle body. Has anyone experienced this problem before and if so, is it a simple repair? It looks fairly simple but I do not have a repair manual yet and I don’t want to start removing sensors or anything else until I know what they are. Here is a dumb? Should I just take it to the shop. Cannot afford to take it in for every little repair. Thanks
Walt

Old 01-26-2008, 04:30 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts
Default RE: Coolant leak at intake

If you mean the t/body heater unit, there is an up-dated kit to correct that problem at the dealers parts department.

Old 01-26-2008, 05:21 PM
Mudding

problem is that the nearest dealer is in Jacksonville, 180 miles from Tallahassee. It looks like an O-ring or gasket failure. I thought that I would just replace the seal and pick up the kit next time I'm in Jacksonville or Tampa or try to have it shipped out to me.

Old 01-26-2008, 05:41 PM
Administrator

Or just connect the 2 hoses with a loop of cooper tubing and do a complete by-pas, I did this 3 years ago with no problems.

Old 01-26-2008, 05:53 PM
Mudding

You know, the thought did cross my mind but I wanted to err on the side of caution. I mean it's that way for a reason, right? But if I can bypass with no problems, then I might do that. Here is another silly ?. What is the advantage of having the throttle body heated?

Old 01-27-2008, 10:34 AM
Mudding

Update: Throttle body heater bypassed with copper tubing, cost $2 for the tube, a brisk motorcycle ride to Lowes, and less than an hour to complete the job. Thanks for the suggestion.

walt

Old 01-27-2008, 11:22 AM
Administrator

Well the go end of it was you got to get out on your motorcycle for a ride today.
Don't worry about any side effects. I do many near 0 degree cold start and have never had a problem.

Old 11-30-2008, 07:59 AM
2nd Gear

Hi, we had the intake manifold gaskets replaced due to gross leakage. After getting the D2 back, we noticed a coolant leak on top of the drivers side valve cover. We ordered new coolant lines for the throttle body heater. Replaced same but still have a small leak.

We presumed that the heater device itself, the item with two tubes coming out of it, has no seals. But this thread seems to suggest otherwise. Is there a gasket between the throttle body and the heater body?

thx

Ant

Old 11-30-2008, 10:00 AM
Administrator

You have 2 choices, by pass the 2 hoses with a small piece of copper tubing or order the replacement kit from Rover and reseal the unit.

Old 11-30-2008, 06:58 PM
2nd Gear

thx Disco Mike,

Since we run in cold weather, we've ordered the kit from Atlantic British ...

cheers,

Ant

Quick Reply: Coolant leak at intake