General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

D2: chasing P/S leak - can't remove pressure line

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2017, 11:32 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D2: chasing P/S leak - can't remove pressure line

I have been playing whack-a-mole with a power steering leak for the past 2 weeks. I originally tracked it down the to adjusting nut on the steering box. Fluid was welling up through the threads and out the top of the nut - very odd. I took it apart, used some airplane sealant, next morning it was good but was dripping again after a few short drives. I then repeat but with the black RTV left over from the head gaskets. This time it works and all is well.

2 days later its leaking again, but from under the high pressure line plate. I suppose it could be either of high or low lines, but I would assume the high pressure line is the problem. Luckily, there is an o-ring there I can try.

2 questions: I have the plate off, but the high pressure line won't budge. Any tricks for getting it out of the steering box?

And second, is it just going to start leaking somewhere else? Is my pressure too high? the return is working - its like a little whirlpool in the reservoir when I refill it-

Thanks!
-RJ

2002 Disco 2