General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Defender NAS intermittant air conditioner and check engine light

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 11:20 AM
FMV
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Defender NAS intermittant air conditioner and check engine light

I have a 97 defender. I also have an intermittant check engine light. Comes and goes, on for days off for weeks and vice versa. Now I have intermittant air. When it works it is great but somedays it does not come on at all. It is not freezing up as some weeks it runs perfectly even on a hot SC day all day and never stops. I have noticed, or imagined that driving over train tracks often will jog it on, but not foolproof method!! Is it wiring? I am scared of LR dealer here in Charleston after many years or poor work and HUGE bills.
Any ideas? Are they related. Is there a big electrical nightmare or two separate problems mechanically? I have NO car skills but will relay any help to someone who has a little!

Old 06-23-2008, 11:53 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts
Default RE: Defender NAS intermittant air conditioner and check engine light

Go get your codes read at a local auto parts store and get back to us with the 4 digit codes.
The a/c is not related to the check engine light. What is not working with the a/c, the fan, the compressor, give more details.

Old 06-24-2008, 08:52 PM
FMV
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for input. took car to Precision Tune, they found the pressure sensor not working properly. They called the dealer to get a part, or part number they said they had no idea what air con was in my car, but would know when they saw it, and to send me over. The guy who was helping me was great and totally empathised with me not wanting to got to the dealer. I called the dealer I actually ordered the car from new, and tomorrow they will send me the details, and the part if I want to buy it from them. The man I spoke to there, and I, believe it came from UK already installed and was not installed by the dealerin the US as the local dealer thought to be the case.
As for the check engine, that went off again yesterday, and you know what I was SO hot with no AC I forgot about it. I will get that tomorrow.

Old 06-25-2008, 07:59 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Very few Defenders came to the states with a/c already installed, the dealers always installed a kit from Rover.