General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Detroit locker

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2018, 01:12 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Detroit locker

Hi, Thinking about extra traction involving a locker, is it feasable to fit to rear axle only. disco 1 3.9i V8
Regards Ron.

Old 01-03-2018, 04:01 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,465 Likes on 1,196 Posts

Yes you can do just a Detroit in the rear and see good results when you lock the center diff off road.

Old 02-01-2019, 03:33 PM
4wd Low

How's drive ability on road with only a Detroit and HD axles in the rear axle?

Old 02-01-2019, 09:22 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Socal88
How's drive ability on road with only a Detroit and HD axles in the rear axle?
Drives like normal on highway.

My only discussion points on lockers come from the axles (half shafts) and crown wheel and pinions when lockers are fitted.

I am a believer in the philosophy of a cheap easy fix weak link and I always encourage people who fit HD axles (half shafts) to use original or even aftermarket drive members and not the HD drive members.

The rear axles (half shafts) are one piece affairs as stock parts but HD axles (half shafts) will be floating shafts located in the diff and secured at the drive flange/member with a rubber boot.

original one piece rear axle (half shaft)

original front drive flange

HD drive flange

The HD drive flanges/members are good and bad all at the same time, in one instance they remove a weak link but by that same token they then move the risk up the drive train, HD shafts and flanges would then transfer the risk to the crown wheel and pinion in the diff, then you go and get a HD ring and pinion, get the diff locked and pegged and then then risk is transferred to the propshaft and so on until a weak link has basically become the gearbox.

By using original equipment drive flanges you have the easiest and cheapest weak link that will save your transmission and the bulk of the drive line in the event of extreme shock loading, HD shafts will be super hard and will strip the splines out of the cast steel flanges without damaging the shaft and so enabling you to get a 17mm socket wrench out and a spare part that weighs less than half a pound and get yourself going again.

Not sure what everyone else does but this is my preferred method.

Old 02-03-2019, 10:48 AM
4wd Low

Thanks for the information. I can see how the transfer of shock loading doesn't stop till it finds the weakest link.
I like the idea using the stock drive flange to make it the "weak link" easy to get to and not some big bulky spare parts to haul around.

Last edited by Socal88; 02-03-2019 at 10:53 AM.
Old 02-03-2019, 02:02 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Socal88
Thanks for the information. I can see how the transfer of shock loading doesn't stop till it finds the weakest link.
I like the idea using the stock drive flange to make it the "weak link" easy to get to and not some big bulky spare parts to haul around.
Sorry about the threadjacking, I try to pass on as much info as I can but often go a bit over top.