General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Differential Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 10:18 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by Shiftonthefly1
Yea it's really easy to get a case of the "might as wells". I know I don't want to change gear ratios as I still want to do a fair amount of highway driving. I like the 75 MPH RPM's where they are. I already have a Detroit locker in the rear diff so I don't have to buy that. The bearings/shims and tools seems my only major expense. Still for 50 bucks I may just stick the Jy unit in there so I can take my time. Gonna review the rave again with your simplified explaination and see if it clicks.
Torque specs can be easily found here:
Ashcroft Transmissions

A press help, although this guy managed just by heating/cooling.

This is a pretty good video going through carrier bearing preload. Don't pay attention to the numbers he's throwing out as yours will be different.

This is another good video to watch to get you familiar with the process.

Good luck!!!!

The following users liked this post:
acg (01-28-2015)
Old 01-28-2015, 12:41 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hope you are very patient. A buddy of mine and I set up my front and rear in a day with the TT and Detroit and it went fairly smooth as he is not new to setting up gears. All was fine until an axle seal came loose and ended making its way down the axle and into the diff getting ground into a buttload of metal and rubber pieces. I attempted to rebuild myself and thought it had it 3 times but it howled like hell all three times. I was ready to chuck the thing in the lake and took it to a local rear end guy. $150 and 5 days later I was back in action. Wish I did that from the start! (and I have only paid someone else to work on my vehicles like 1 other time in my entire life)

Old 01-28-2015, 12:43 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And for the love of God order the yellow setup paint. It makes it WAY easier. The first time around we used the blue crap NAPA sells and its horrible, we ended up using white spray paint. LOL

Old 01-30-2015, 06:34 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 142 Likes on 113 Posts

I ran into some good luck here. One of my accounts is Kensington Motors. It's an Indy British and Mini shop here in town. Turns out they failed their fire inspection and I came in to the rescue and got him compliant. 3 new extinguishers 2 serviced one sprinkler inspection and some exit light batteries and he was good to go.
Now I'm gonna barter his services for my differential repair. New bearings and parts. Maybe he'll let me watch. Or even participate.