General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

disco 1 wont move in any gear unless tranfer case is locked

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2018, 01:38 PM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default disco 1 wont move in any gear unless tranfer case is locked

I have a 1996 land rover discovery. Lost drive in all gears unless I lock the transfer case. Neither driveshaft moves when unlocked. Replaced transfer case, still have the same problem. Jacked up rear end. I can spin one wheel and the other turns in the opposite direction. With transfer case unlocked in high and low I can turn the rear driveshaft by hand and it turns one rear wheel, and the brake drum on the back of the transfer case. I have not tried removing front driveshaft to see if it still moves with transfer case locked. I cant imagine it will since it seems to be the front wheels moving it. I have taken the old transfer case apart and cannot find anything wrong with it.

Old 02-12-2018, 07:33 PM
TReK
Received 760 Likes on 628 Posts

Are you sure that you're shifting into unlocked, and not just into neutral? (Assuming that the D1 transfer case has a neutral.)

Old 02-12-2018, 07:49 PM
8th Gear

Yeah, I am almost positive. I can feel it locking and unlocking and the light goes off and on. I also tried turning it further with a wrench and the small lever did move further but it didn't help. when I crawled back under it was back where it was before I moved it with a wrench.

Old 02-12-2018, 07:55 PM
TReK

A lot of people say that it's best to be rolling very slowly when you try to shift the t-case. I know that always helps me shift mine. Shifting in and out of the same "mode" (i.e. from locked into neutral and back into locked) is probably far easier when the truck is stationary than shifting from locked into neutral and then into unlocked, since the gears are going to be properly aligned.

Old 02-12-2018, 08:00 PM
8th Gear

Thanks I will have try that, it does feel like its in neutral when I turn the rear driveshaft. It shouldn't be turning at all with it in park.

Old 02-12-2018, 08:11 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 84 Likes on 64 Posts

If neither driveshaft is spinning then you trashed the center differential Id double check that. Its way more likely you broke a axle diff cross pin and slightly more likely you stripped a cv joint. Both would result in one driveshaft spinning and no movement when cdl is off

Old 02-12-2018, 08:14 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 84 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by bradsexton
Thanks I will have try that, it does feel like its in neutral when I turn the rear driveshaft. It shouldn't be turning at all with it in park.
Are the tires on the ground and the driveshaft bolted up when you spin it? If so its the rear diff.

Old 02-13-2018, 06:03 AM
8th Gear

I have the rear end jacked up and on jack stands when I turn the rear driveshaft. I Thought it was the rear differential, but one wheel turns when I turn the driveshaft. I replaced the front cv joints 6 months ago because one was broke but the rear end worked the whole time until recently.

Old 02-13-2018, 06:39 AM
TReK

If only the rear is raised and you can spin the rear shaft, I believe that means that the t-case must be unlocked or in neutral (or something is seriously broken). If it is locked then the front wheels should try to turn as well.

Old 02-13-2018, 06:24 PM
8th Gear

I am not sure what is going on. I am starting to think it might be the rear differential. I just locked up the transfer case and I can still turn the rear wheels, but the driveshaft wont turn because its locked in with the front shaft and the front wheels are on the ground. doesn't make sense because I can turn the driveshaft and turn the wheels (when it is unlocked), unless its just that center pin that is broken in the differential.

Quick Reply: disco 1 wont move in any gear unless tranfer case is locked