General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Disco 2 turns over, but doesn't start

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2006, 02:28 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Disco 2 turns over, but doesn't start

Almost ALWAYS!! It was on before this issue came up.
Thanks

Old 11-08-2006, 04:31 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kevin,

I didn't know you had a CEL illuminated. This changes things. If possible, you should borrow a OBDII scanner and plug it in to retrieve the stored codes. Your no-start condition could be a bad camshaft sensor. It's possible that it threw the error code as it was failing (as you said the light has been on for some time), and now failed completely ---which will prevent the engine from starting. This sensor is known for failing.

regards,
Geoman

Old 11-08-2006, 05:06 PM
Overlanding

Yes. Sorry I did not mention the light, as I have grown accustomed to it being on most all of the time.
I will see if I can borrow the scanner.
One guy at Land Rover Frisco said it was fuel or fire, meaning if I have sparks from the plugs, it is a fuel issue. And, if no sparks, that's the problem. Does this sound likely to you guys?
Thanks,
Kevin

Old 11-08-2006, 05:21 PM
Rock Crawling

Yep!--- ya need three things to generate internal combustion --- air,fuel, and spark.

Unfortunately ---these days it is somewhat more difficult to verify the presence of the last two.

Try this:

Listen for the "whine" as I stated earlier from the fuel pump--for that first couple of seconds after turning the key only to the "on" position.

Then pull one spark plug-- re-attach the spark plug wire, and lay the plug on the exhaust manifold (threaded section of the plug contacting the manifold). Then with someone cranking the engine over --look at the spark plug tip for evidence of a spark. This won't work in sunlight, so hopefully your vehicle is in the garage.

Let us know what you find.

regards,
Geoman

Old 11-08-2006, 05:46 PM
Overlanding

Thanks. Will try both. I will have to wait til dark in Texas, but will reply tonight.
Thanks again!! Kevin

Old 11-08-2006, 07:05 PM
Overlanding

We tried to do the suggestion of listening for the "whine" If it is really faint, I think I have a "whine", however, there is alot of noise around our house right now, construction, etc...
Will try that again this evening along with the spark plug bit.
Thanks, Kevin
ORIGINAL: geoman

Well, your Disco II does not have a external fuel filter-- only a "sock" filter on the fuel pump which is immersed in the fuel tank.

You are saying that the engine cranks over just fine, but does not even make any attempt at starting? Have the wife turn the key to the on position (not all the way to the start position) while you listen at the fuel tank in back. You should hear a "whine" from the electric pump for a few seconds---until it builds pressure. If no noise--- then possibly you lost the fuel pump.

regards,
Geoman

Old 11-10-2006, 02:22 PM
Overlanding

Would it do me any good to put fuel injector cleaner in if the vehicle does not start?
Thanks

Old 11-10-2006, 02:30 PM
Rock Crawling

No ---the injection cleaner works only when being circulated. Did you check for spark last night?

regards,
Geoman

Old 11-11-2006, 01:02 PM
Overlanding

Will check spark tonight. Timing has not been good to test it (needing 2 people). Will let you know tonight or tomorrow.
Thanks
ORIGINAL: geoman

No ---the injection cleaner works only when being circulated. Did you check for spark last night?

regards,
Geoman

Old 11-13-2006, 01:20 PM
Overlanding

Is it possible to "blow" through the injectors in case they are clogged with sediment from my low tank?
Thanks!!

ORIGINAL: golfman

Thanks Mike and Geoman!!
Unfortunately the lock thing did not work out.
However, re-tracing my steps the last 24 hours, I did fill the tank yesterday morning.
I was able to put 22.5 gallons in it with a capacity of 25 gallons. Normally, I can only put 18-20 gallons in it.
Perhaps letting it get that low allowed sediment to clog filter or injectors?
Does this sound reasonable? If so, what is my next step?
Thanks so much!!
Kevin

Quick Reply: Disco 2 turns over, but doesn't start