General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Disco Won't Start - Intermittent Problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 01:44 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disco Won't Start - Intermittent Problem

We own a '94 Landrover Disco that my husband wouldn't dream of parting with. Problem is that it won't start some days and usually by the time we take it in to a repair facility it is starting. They always just throw their hands up and say they have no idea since it's working when they have it at the repair shop.

A few things we have noticed.

*I keep smelling coolant (hubbie does not - but I think it's just a lack of smell-sensitivity). Distributor cap has been recently replaced and we see no sign of any cracks. Mechanic has run through a battery of test and sees no leaks.

*It seems that most days the car will not start it is rainy or humid out.

Any ideas? From a search, I was seeing mention of fuel filters sometimes being the culprit. Funny that our mechanics haven't brought that up as a possibility.

Thanks,
DiscoGal

Old 10-17-2006, 02:11 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts
Default RE: Disco Won't Start - Intermittent Problem

I am assuming the engine turns over and just won't start, my first thought is fuel. How long since the fuel filter was changed?
Need to check the fuel pressure early one day before trying to start the engine, you may have a fuel pump with a bad valve allowing the gas to flow out of the fuel rail and back to the tank so there is no fuel for the injectors to fire on.
Mike

Old 10-17-2006, 03:36 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Disco Won't Start - Intermittent Problem

I concur with Disco Mike ..........as I usually do :-)

In addition.........

The statement about not starting in a humid or rainy environment often is due to the high energy from the ignition system discharging someplace else instead of to the spark plugs. Cracked spark plug wires (or the coil wire), or even an ignition coil that is cracked or extremely dirty ---can have this effect. Check out those components.

Regards,
Geoman

Northern California