General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

discovery mk1

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2012, 01:34 PM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default discovery mk1

Hi all i have a landrover disco 1996 mk1, my prob is it does not start that good takes a bit of cranking but used to start right off, also it cuts out at lights roundabouts etc if you look at the rev counter it somtimes drops bellow 500? I have changed the fuel filter and put a jet type cleaner in the fuel, also i dont know if this is anything to do with it but when you use your headlamps it seems as if something is loose as they intermitantly go off on battery maybe? The bat is of the correct type and checks out ok.

kind regards john

Old 06-06-2012, 07:57 AM
Overlanding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Diesel tdi 300 ?

injector pump maybe

Old 06-06-2012, 09:47 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Would go over all ground connections, like negative battery to frame, any that tie engine block to frame, etc. Tach drive is from the alternator, so alternator may be about to poop out on you as well. With a volt meter attached across battery, should read 13.8 - 14.4 at idle with just truck running (no AC, lights, etc.). As you increase gadgets turned on, volts will drop, but should stay above 13.2. Plus be sure two terminals in the front of the under bonnet fuse box are tight and clean, along with same for battery terminals.