General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Diso 1 rough idel

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 10:57 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Diso 1 rough idel

Hi yall, I've been having a problem with my 95 Disco, she starts and runs alright, but once the engine comes up to temp the idle goes to crap, if I stop at a red light she might go a minute or so without becoming pissy, but after that she stars bucking back firing and stumbling. I've tried cleaning the Idle Air Control Valve along with cleaning the Mass Air Flow Sensor. My gut tells me that it’s a bad Idle Air Control Valve; I may go to pull a part on my way to school tomorrow and pick one off a donor Disco. If anyone has advice I would be very grateful.

Oh yeah, on a side note she’s also throwing an OBD1 code of 14, I looked up the code and it says overheating, I've only done that once and that was a while ago, I tried erasing the code with no luck, does anyone know the trick? I’m not sure if she’s throwing more codes, I know the OBD1 code reader spits the codes out based on importance, thus why code 14 is showing up first and one more thing I had an accident about a month ago, I was distracted by my friend and wound up hitting culvert and going about 7-10 feet in the air, bent the tie rod bar and broke a few pices of my steering column. If anyone has advice I would be very grateful.

Thanks Collin

Last edited by collin Barrows; 08-26-2012 at 11:18 PM.
Old 08-27-2012, 02:42 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

Could also be a vacuum leak, like a rotted hose, etc. The IACV bore it fits into should also be cleaned, and the pintle (end that moves) not tinkered with. Also, a donor will have to be same series, the later GEMS system uses a different IACV even though it is still a D1.

Don't adjust the base idle screw in the throttle body unless you have read up on it, and are confident you have done everything else.

As for overheating, what does temp gauge display? You can use an IR thermometer pointed at the upper hose/thermostat housing and get an idea. IMHO you should be running a 180F stat with a 1/8 hole or jiggle device at the 12:00 position. Rad ever been rodded out?

And what's next for you on the school side?

Old 08-27-2012, 11:00 AM
Rock Crawling

Thanks! I'm going to check my hoses right now! As for school, I'm loviein my classes, I'm taking Heavy diesel mechanics basics, electrical wiring, and tools and safety. I'm not sure what field of diesel mechanics I want to go into just yet. My teacher was telling the class about the pros and cons of working on oil rigs out in the gulf, starting pay is in the six figures range, to a kid who’s only 19 that sounds awesome, and I would only have to work six months of the year, I know it a tad bit dangerous, but no risk = no reward

Old 08-27-2012, 11:08 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

If you are "multi craft" you are more attractive to recruiters.

Old 08-28-2012, 12:07 PM
Rock Crawling

Yeah I’m also thinking about becoming ASE certified on fire Trucks and school buses, I like the idea of having 360 degree access to the fire trucks engine.
On another note, do yall know what the canister underneath the coil does for a living? I checked all my hoses and they were all connected except for the cruise control vacuum hose, I reconnected that, but nothing changed…..

Old 10-16-2012, 11:04 AM
2nd Gear

Did you get it fixed? I have the same problem but my code is 48 and I've had it to 2 different shops
New mass air
New step motor
New temp sensor
New plugs and wires cap and rotor
No vacuum leaks
Good compression

Old 10-22-2012, 06:45 PM
Overlanding

Have a 95 discovery, When my o2 sensors go bad mine acts just as you described. New o2 sensors an back to running like a champ.