General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Driver's power window mystery

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2017, 12:36 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driver's power window mystery

Hey guys, been dealing with the driver's power window ever since I got the truck a couple years ago. Finally had enough, and I want to continue the diagnosis and try and determine the cause.

My gut: Th BCU, since the horn doesn't work either and they both route through there.

Here's what I know is fine:
- driver's window regulator
- window motor
- the wires going through the boot cover in the door hinge area
- the switch itself (I swapped with the passenger one, and same problem)

My suspicion is that it's somewhere upstream of the door itself, and upstream of the switch itself. All of the wires 'upstream' go into the BCU, so that's why I'm suspecting this.

Here's the symptoms:
- driver's power window doesn't work at all
- all other windows work great
- horn doesn't work (wheel switches seem fine... related?)
- you can hear the clicking sound as if something is trying to actuate on the window switch, but only when trying to roll it UP. When you click down, there's no sound... completely dead.
- all other window switches you can hear a 'click' on both up and down.

Motor? I suspected that, and I had a new 'used' motor shipped. I had the motor out of the car, and still plugged into the wire harness. I then tried the switch to see if the motor would spin it's little gear, but nothing, on either the motor that was in there or the new motor I got. Either both are duds (unlikely) or there's another problem.

The ultimate reason I'm suspecting the BCU is because the horn doesn't work and it's also routed through it, and the fact that I'm hearing it try to click when pressing up, but nothing when I'm pressing down. This leads me to believe it's an electrical gremlin, rather than something mechanical.

Is there something I'm missing? A relay/fuse? Are there any other tests I can do to rule out other problems? I really hope it's not BCU, cause those things I hear are v. expensive and need to be keyed to the car specifically.

Old 08-05-2017, 02:05 PM
Winching
Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts

What year model do you have?

Old 08-06-2017, 11:29 AM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by aemnky606
What year model do you have?
Oh my gosh im sorry I didnt say... 2000 Discovery V8