General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Is it at the end of its Life Cycle???

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2006, 01:06 AM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it at the end of its Life Cycle???

I need some help with some problems on my 1997 Discovery SD. The first issue deals with a light on my dash that reads "Anti-Lock". It lights up usually after I drive for a few miles. If it isn't on and I hit the brakes, the anti-lock brakes engage when they don't need too, and sometimes its very inconvenient for them to engage (like almost hitting the car in front of me.) The second issue pertains to the other day when I went to start the car. It took 2 tries to get it started. After I got it started it ran for a good...10 seconds...before turning off. It would then run only if I kept the pedal depressed and it would kick and sputter and would stop. So I let it sit for a day. The next day I decided to try it and it ran fine. I don't know what the problem was, or if it is going to surface again. The third and final issue involves a deep vibration/rumble from under my hood whenever I am at a constant speed (i.e. cruise control) or I let off of the gas to coast. It is very loud and noticeable and I believe it is something that needs attention. If anyone has any advice on any of these issues, their input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ryan

Old 07-22-2006, 10:51 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts
Default RE: Is it at the end of its Life Cycle???

ORIGINAL: Cooper97Disco

I need some help with some problems on my 1997 Discovery SD. The first issue deals with a light on my dash that reads "Anti-Lock". It lights up usually after I drive for a few miles. If it isn't on and I hit the brakes, the anti-lock brakes engage when they don't need too, and sometimes its very inconvenient for them to engage (like almost hitting the car in front of me.) The second issue pertains to the other day when I went to start the car. It took 2 tries to get it started. After I got it started it ran for a good...10 seconds...before turning off. It would then run only if I kept the pedal depressed and it would kick and sputter and would stop. So I let it sit for a day. The next day I decided to try it and it ran fine. I don't know what the problem was, or if it is going to surface again. The third and final issue involves a deep vibration/rumble from under my hood whenever I am at a constant speed (i.e. cruise control) or I let off of the gas to coast. It is very loud and noticeable and I believe it is something that needs attention. If anyone has any advice on any of these issues, their input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ryan
The Brake light refers to the fact that you have a ABS problem and a good Rover shop will need to scan that for codes.
The starting problem could be any of a number of things, dirty fuel filter, lack of maintance, dirty throttle body, dirty or bad stepper motor, idle control unit, the list goes on. Still not a big problem to fix.
The noise under the hood could be a bad belt, water pump, bad bearing or pulley, bad fan clutch or broken fan.
All of theses are fairly staright forward and your or a mechanic just need to give the old truck a little attention.
How many miles are on the truck?
Mike

Old 07-22-2006, 08:49 PM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Is it at the end of its Life Cycle???

Thanks for the info. I'll look into all of those. The truck has appr. 133,000 miles on it.