General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Engine Oil Light

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2013, 11:54 AM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Oil Light

Ok here is my question my wife was camping up north with the kids and her friends on there way home on the freeway the oil light came on so she pulled over and as soon as the truck stoped she said it just stalled before she could shut it off.First thing i did was check the oil (i know it was full because i checked it before they left) but it was full only bad thing was it was blacker then black. i'm just Hoping the motor isn't dead i had it towed home because i don't want to try and start it since i did have her try and click it over when it was on the freeway and it made a bunch of noise. Could this be a dead oil pump figured i would get your input before i start pulling stuff apart. Thx

Old 08-24-2013, 12:20 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Doesn't sound good. Try putting a wrench on the crank and try to turn the engine. If you lost oil pressure, you most likely spun a bearing. Then you would need to drop the oil pan and pull off the main and connecting rod caps to see what was damaged.

If you are lucky there may be no damage to the crank and journals. Then you can just put in new bearings, oil pump and hope the cam is OK.

Last edited by acamato; 08-24-2013 at 12:23 PM.
Old 08-26-2013, 07:51 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

replace the oil and filter and hook up an oil pressure gauge to see what you have for pressure, everything else is guessing

Old 08-26-2013, 07:59 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

So, the big question is how mechanical are you? Don't try to start the engine again or change the oil, that would be a waste of money.
Do you have a local shop you use?
Most likely, since the light came on at highway speeds, the engine is in trouble, though may still be repairable.

Old 08-26-2013, 09:48 AM
Baja

replace the oil and filter and hook up an oil pressure gauge to see what you have for pressure

Old 08-26-2013, 10:03 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Black oil and no oil pressure at high way speeds pretty well means he burned it up and yes someone needs to do a couple quick inspections but it is safe to say he has a boat anchor under the hood.
Hope he is mechanical so he can at least look into it.

Old 08-26-2013, 01:32 PM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
Black oil and no oil pressure at high way speeds pretty well means he burned it up and yes someone needs to do a couple quick inspections but it is safe to say he has a boat anchor under the hood.
Hope he is mechanical so he can at least look into it.
I'm hoping thats not what happened figured i would ask before getting a new oil pump etc. and spending the money on it. Wife has it in her head that since when the light came on she pulled over right away and when the truck stoped it shut itself off is a good thing lol(had to tell her other wise).

Old 08-27-2013, 07:50 AM
Baja

the sky may not be falling but you want know until you start checking things

Old 08-27-2013, 08:11 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

I ran my D1 at fast idle one time when testing a used radiator I had just installed. Reached in the window, cranked it up, and immediately started looking for leaks under hood, coolant, oil, tranny fluid. They all go in one radiator. When I got through a few minutes later, and went to turn truck off, I notice oil light had never gone off. Duh! The oil cooler was 99% restricted, that is what took out the donor vehicle. It was two years ago. But I wasn't driving for miles as oil pressure dropped (you only know when light came on, could have been leaving a trail for many miles).

Might not be the pump, might be in the oil pan (pickup clogged, pickup came loose, etc.).

Old 08-28-2013, 03:11 PM
6th Gear

is there a safety feature on the truck that would make it shut it's self off just seems odd that it would do this

Quick Reply: Engine Oil Light