General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Engine rebuild / buy refurbished what to do?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2014, 07:30 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Engine rebuild / buy refurbished what to do?

Hi guys! thank you so much for this amazing forum. I have learned so much about my disco.
my background, I bought a used disco - SE '04 about 2 years ago. I have had the radiator, reservoir, drive shaft and the timing cover gasket replaced. Recently it has started the "delightful"... not so much... ticking. Sounds like the cylinder sleeve.
I know of some folks who have driven like this for thousands of miles. However I'm researching the options of getting the engine overhauled. Please forgive me if some of these questions are a bit basic.. I'm a girl! and I am still learning.
Long block vs short block. I have a bosch 4.6 engine. Is a short block and long block essentially the same, except that the long block includes the valve jobs and heads?

Also, while the engine is pulled apart, what would be some other wise preventative fixes? I was thinking perhaps a new heater core, oil pump? What else would you suggest?

After much test driving of new cars, I'm thinking I want to hang on to the old gal. She handles like a dream and looks good. Some of the new cars out there are just either too klunky or too ugly. Or do you think its time to walk away and go for a 4runner /pathfinder/explorer/whatever?

again, thanks for this excellent forum
Gillian

Old 08-09-2014, 08:16 PM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

the difference between a short block and a long bock would be heads all the valve train timing chain.

basically a short block gives you the bottom half of the motor a long block gives you the top half.

yes you would want a new oil pump, water pump, plugs hoses, wires ,thermoset, and a new clutch fan. I would up-grade to the 2-pc 99-02 style.

the heater core is under the dash so no real benefit there.

if your truck does not have an oil cooler I would add oil along with an oil pressure gauge.

if you do indeed need an engine, a rebuilt long block will run 6-8k.

hope this helps

Last edited by drowssap; 08-10-2014 at 06:31 AM.
Old 08-10-2014, 01:46 AM
Baja
Received 721 Likes on 626 Posts

I personally would look for a

1) low mileage 4.0 complete Bosch motor

2) higher mileage 4.0 complete Bosch motor that has recently had the heads done.

To swap in.

As Drowsap said, a full rebuild could run 6-8k not including the install.

Do you have an affordable/knowledgeable mechanic?

If so, things will go a lot smoother.

I love my discoverys and would hate to have to drive another car, but they are/can be expensive.

Get a good mechanic, make friends on this forum, and learn all you can. I think you wil be impressed with what you can do yourself and the knowledge you will gain from rolling up your sleeves and diving in.

Not sure where you are, but I can suggest a good mechanic in so cal.

Decisions, decisions...

Good luck

Old 08-10-2014, 02:07 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

Ticking could be a lifter or rocker arm. Run some of that engine cleaner through it. Run some thicker oil. Ifneither of these work just run it into the ground. It could go another 50,000+ miles that way.

Old 08-10-2014, 06:32 AM
Baja

a said above a location & mileage would be good.
they are a few tests you should have run before just condemning the engine.

as mentioned anything in the valve train,(cam lifters rockers plush rods) oil pump, flywheel are just a few of the things known to make a rover engine tic.

I also see you have had cooling issues, did it overheat?

Old 08-10-2014, 10:23 AM
5th Gear

Hi guys, thanks for all the answers. much to chew on. The car never overheated on my watch. I kept a beady eye on the coolant and had leaks tended to immediately.

I'm in the Atlanta area and the engine has just gone over 90 000 miles. She is in good nick otherwise.
I really love the car, so I'm really torn about this. I have a budget of about $10k. So I'm thinking that to save on labor I should go for a complete rebuild and make sure the sleeves are flanged / tophat and the heads have been rebuilt too. I may save on labor if I go this route.
Looks like roverparts has something in stock. Are there any suppliers you recommend (or not)
There seem to be a few shops in this area. britishtruckrepair, road brittania etc. Do you recommend anyone?
And thanks for the recommendation on the thicker oil. I am going to try that.

Old 08-10-2014, 05:04 PM
Baja
Received 721 Likes on 626 Posts

You should also start posting in the discovery 2 section, you will get a lot more help.

Old 08-11-2014, 06:33 AM
Baja

for a complete engine I would suggest:
Land Rover Engine Remanufactured 4 6 Long Block w Flanged Cylinder Liners | eBay.
he has sold a few on here and has the only 3yr WARRANTY.
Rover 4.6 Long Block Engine - Discovery II And Range Rover.
CannibalV8. around $8K i think

but i would suggest you spend a couple bucks and have an oil pressure test done as well as have the rocker cover removed and the valve train inspected.

Last edited by drowssap; 08-11-2014 at 08:12 AM.
Old 08-22-2014, 05:01 PM
5th Gear

Hi guys, after much pondering over copious vats of red, I still haven't 100% made a decision
However, tomorrow I am looking at a used Toyota land cruiser. If it checks out, I will go that route.
I still love the disco, but honestly it's been in the shop every 2 months over the past year. Always seem to be chasing a leak somewhere. I don't have a lot of confidence this will stop even after a refurbished long block is put in and I feel i just can't take it on a long trip. I just need something reliable for a while. If I buy the LC, I'll probably keep the disco and go for the used block option.
What is it with these discos that have us so emotionally attached to them?

Old 08-23-2014, 05:16 AM
Baja

just suckers for a pretty face, I guess.
best of luck

Quick Reply: Engine rebuild / buy refurbished what to do?