General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Engine Spins But Won't Start

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2014, 05:05 PM
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Engine Spins But Won't Start

My 2000 Discovery II decided not to start this week. I've been reading posts all week knowing I would find the solution from your experiences, but I haven't found the solution, yet. It's been running great since I've owned it. It spins over but does not start now. I replaced the starter several months ago. The battery is 24 months old. I've done the following this week:

1. Battery checks good at 832 CCA, 13.2 V. Connections are tight and clean. Starter spins the engine fast.

2. Checked all fuses and relays under hood and dash. I replaced the fuel relay but no change.

3. Checked inertia switch, ok. It was not tripped.

4. Replaced the crank sensor.

5. Has spark. I tested it with an inline spark tester.

6. Sprayed starter fluid in intake tube, did not start, didn't even burp.

7. Have fuel pressure at schrader valve. I have not put a gauge on it.

8. No noise from fuel pump turning on when I turn the key in the on position. Applied power to it directly from battery and it pumps great. Connections are clean, no corrosion.

9. Scanned OBDII, only code P1668, security system. Alarm light flashes correctly on the dash. Fast flash for 10 seconds when set, then a slow flash. Unlock with key FOB, then no flash. I reset the code with the scanner. Code has not come up again. I tried all the steps and tricks that I've read on this forum but nothing changes.

10. Checked plugs. They were wet. I replaced them.

Any thoughts or ideas? What should I test or replace next? Thanks for your assistance.

Old 03-26-2014, 12:33 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you get this resolved? My only thought would be crank sensor was installed wrong. Sensor, then spacers, then nuts.

I had a similar problem with mine and it was the fuel pump and bad inertia switch. But mine would run for a second with starter fluid in the intake.

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...t-start-60497/

I had to put a jumper wire in the inertia switch. 2 outer pins. Don't drive it like that---it's there for a reason!

Old 03-27-2014, 08:02 PM
6th Gear

It still won't start. I checked the crank sensor again and it is installed correctly. I'm thinking it may be the computer or maybe something the computer is picking up telling it to shutdown the system and not pump fuel. I'm going to try a high quality starter fluid. I've been told that some vehicles won't fire with the cheap stuff. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Old 11-17-2014, 09:08 AM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Curious on out come of not starting?

Im having similar problem, so also wondering what the next step needs to be? Nice to learn from a similar situation.
thanks

Old 12-07-2014, 11:48 AM
6th Gear
Default Solved!!!!!

Problem solved, finally!!! It was the fuse box located under the dash on the left side. I replaced the unit with a new one and all is well. I realized the spark plug firing was intermittent after I went through everything again and again. Sometimes it would fire and sometimes it showed no fire. More research on the forums showed there is a known problem with the original fuse box causing this firing issue. I hope this helps somebody. Thank you for your assistance.

Old 12-08-2014, 10:22 AM
8th Gear
Default Was there any specific thing you did, before realizing; "it must be the fuse box"?

Originally Posted by GregL
Problem solved, finally!!! It was the fuse box located under the dash on the left side. I replaced the unit with a new one and all is well. I realized the spark plug firing was intermittent after I went through everything again and again. Sometimes it would fire and sometimes it showed no fire. More research on the forums showed there is a known problem with the original fuse box causing this firing issue. I hope this helps somebody. Thank you for your assistance.
As my 03 Discovery has the same problem. I bought it like that so havn't heard it run. I also used an inline spark tester on 3 plugs and didn't show any spark.
I thought, well it must be the coils ! Then was told, perhaps another electronic component tells the coils not to spark, because of another issue?
Fuses look fine. So perhaps I'll try the same, change the fuse box?
Just wondering if you bought the replacement from the Dealer, or? approx how much was it$ ?
thanks for your solution post.

Old 12-08-2014, 02:13 PM
6th Gear
Default Specific Things---Items 1-10 in previous post

MervK,

Basically I ran out of options to try. It was the intermittent firing of the plugs that led me to do additional research and talk to some local mechanics. That's when I learned there was a bulletin issued on the fuse box many years ago. I first tried a used one from a local salvage yard and it solved the problem but it had another issue in that my AC wouldn't work. They took it back and then I opted for a new one. I wanted the latest Rev (Part# YQE103810). I found the best deal on it at Genuine Land Rover Parts Online at Discount (also known as Jaguar Land Rover Lakeside in Macomb, MI) at $355.00 so it's an official Land Rover part. I just looked and they now have it marked down to $301.76. I used an inline tester as well and kept getting different results, different plugs would fire and then not fire. All my fuses were good, too.

Old 01-04-2015, 07:40 PM
4th Gear
Default Ready to give up

My 2000 Discovery II decided not to start after stopping to get gas. It's been running great since I've owned it. It spins over but does not start now.
I replaced the fuel relay but no change.checked inertia switch, ok. It was not tripped. Replaced the crank sensor.

No noise from fuel pump turning on when I turn the key in the on position. Applied power to it directly from battery and it pumps great. Connections are clean, no corrosion.

I have had it to 2 shops saying they can work and diagnose DII and have picked it up from both and all they can tell me it needs a motor. Althoughneighter have been able to get it to start up and run....anyone know of a tech around the Augusta Ga area that does know what he is doing? please help

Old 01-06-2015, 12:01 PM
6th Gear
Default Ready to give up.......But Don't

James, Have you checked to see if you have fire at the plugs, any of them? Mine was intermittent. One time a plug would fire then the next time it would not. I had a couple of extra coils that I swapped out but that didn't solve the problem either. I don't know anybody in the Augusta area. I disagree with the mechanics that say you need a new engine. Now they gave up!!

Old 01-06-2015, 05:11 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by GregL
My 2000 Discovery II decided not to start this week. I've been reading posts all week knowing I would find the solution from your experiences, but I haven't found the solution, yet. It's been running great since I've owned it. It spins over but does not start now. I replaced the starter several months ago. The battery is 24 months old. I've done the following this week:

1. Battery checks good at 832 CCA, 13.2 V. Connections are tight and clean. Starter spins the engine fast.

2. Checked all fuses and relays under hood and dash. I replaced the fuel relay but no change.

3. Checked inertia switch, ok. It was not tripped.

4. Replaced the crank sensor.

5. Has spark. I tested it with an inline spark tester.

6. Sprayed starter fluid in intake tube, did not start, didn't even burp.

7. Have fuel pressure at schrader valve. I have not put a gauge on it.

8. No noise from fuel pump turning on when I turn the key in the on position. Applied power to it directly from battery and it pumps great. Connections are clean, no corrosion.

9. Scanned OBDII, only code P1668, security system. Alarm light flashes correctly on the dash. Fast flash for 10 seconds when set, then a slow flash. Unlock with key FOB, then no flash. I reset the code with the scanner. Code has not come up again. I tried all the steps and tricks that I've read on this forum but nothing changes.

10. Checked plugs. They were wet. I replaced them.

Any thoughts or ideas? What should I test or replace next? Thanks for your assistance.
I had the same problem, I swapped the fuel pump. Engine runs perfect. Check to see if you are getting fuel.

Quick Reply: Engine Spins But Won't Start