General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Engine Troubles

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 01:59 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Troubles

I have a 2000 Discovery II with a 4.0 engine. The head gasket was leaking so the time came to replace it. I did so with no real problems accept two. 1. I broke the clip that holds the vacuum hose into the plenum from the brake booster. Any ideas where I might find a replacement, because with out it I have no brakes. 2. I now have no power. I mean no power. I can floor it for about 35 to 40 feet and I might hit 5mph. The idle is a little off but not bad and if it is in Park and I rev the engine it works and sounds fine. Any ideas what could be causing the issue.

Old 04-09-2008, 02:25 PM
Three Wheeling
Default RE: Engine Troubles

ORIGINAL: brunetto

I have a 2000 Discovery II with a 4.0 engine. The head gasket was leaking so the time came to replace it. I did so with no real problems accept two. 1. I broke the clip that holds the vacuum hose into the plenum from the brake booster. Any ideas where I might find a replacement, because with out it I have no brakes. 2. I now have no power. I mean no power. I can floor it for about 35 to 40 feet and I might hit 5mph. The idle is a little off but not bad and if it is in Park and I rev the engine it works and sounds fine. Any ideas what could be causing the issue.
Interesting.

Brake boosters work by stealing some of the vaccum the engine creates to pull a membrane inside the booster when you step on the brakes. In doing so, they assist and multiply the effect of your foot on the hydraulic system. A clip holding a vacuum hose will not effect that.

On the other hand, badly installed head gaskets can, of course, effect the amount of compression and therefore vacuum the engine will produce. Your power will become some fraction of what it should be as will your vacuum. In extreme cases, you will barely be able to idle and you will have little or no braking power.

Can you do a compression test on each cylinder? Remove all the spark plugs, take off the big air conduit to the plenum nose and wedge the flap open with a screwdriver. Test one cylinder at a time. First dry and then again with one teaspoon of engine oil . Mark down your dry and wet findings for each cylinder.

BTW, did you use the old head bolts?

James

Old 04-09-2008, 03:19 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Dealer only with no exceptions that I am aware of.

Old 04-09-2008, 03:26 PM
3rd Gear

I did not reuse the headbolts. I am getting the tools to test the compresion to night. I will test and post the findings.

Old 04-10-2008, 08:00 AM
3rd Gear

FIXED

All compression tests turned out fine. But when we pulled the plugs four of them looked like they had never fired. After further investigation we found that the plug on one side of the coil pack was bad. After replacing the plug all runs fine.

Old 04-10-2008, 06:35 PM
Three Wheeling

ORIGINAL: brunetto

FIXED

All compression tests turned out fine. But when we pulled the plugs four of them looked like they had never fired. After further investigation we found that the plug on one side of the coil pack was bad. After replacing the plug all runs fine.
Good man!

James