General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

evaluating 02 disco, hill descent noise?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 01:13 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default evaluating 02 disco, hill descent noise?

Hi all, been a loooooong time, looking at my next Disco and wanted to bounce this off y'all. I did a search, and haven't found anything regarding what would be considered a normal noise for the Hill Descent feature. I never really used it on my first disco.

First, the specs...

02 Disco II Td5, 176,000 km. Base model here in Oz. I am considering it after a test drive, seems very well taken care of. 16" wheels, no error lights.

With my first Disco II, a 2001 SE7, I never really had a chance to check out the Hill Descent feature since I was living in Dallas Tx.

Testing this out, I got to the top of a nice steep hill, put it in low and engaged the HDC. I am curious to know what would be considered normal noise for this? It seems as though the brakes continually pump and there is a chugging noise almost like its ratcheting itself down hill.

No issues that i can tell switching between hi or low 4wd, and no warning light comes on. Just the chugging and clanking noise was a bit jarring since I didn't know what to expect.

Should it just silently glide down hill? Or is it more like the mining car ride?

Thanks!

adam

Old 09-07-2010, 06:22 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

shouldnt be that bad. did you check the brakes? make sure the front drive shaft is still there and has not damaged anything under the truck.

Old 09-07-2010, 06:59 AM
Overlanding
Talking

Thanks Ed,

The rotors looked OK at a glance, couldn't really see the pads well enough to evaluate them. Braking in general seemed good and solid, and the car drives and coasts downhill whisper quiet when HDC is not engaged.

I have asked the dealer to look into that during their inspection, we'll see what they come back with.

Man I wish they had the Td5 more available in the states! More grunt than a pig farm, feels much more punchy than that can't-get-out-of-its-own-way V8.

Anyone else got any thoughts?

Bummer, i see my post count got zeroed out... just cuz i didn't post in a couple years... sheesh!

Old 09-07-2010, 08:27 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

That sound is normal, shouldnt be that loud but noise is normal.
If you buy it first thing I would do is flush the brake fluid.
The HDC works the ABS to keep you under 5mph so it will make noise, the TC also uses the ABS so it too will be noisy.

Old 09-08-2010, 01:09 AM
Overlanding

Looks like 2 of the engine mounts need replacing, which I am asking them to do before I purchase the vehicle. Brakes (they said) had over 90%. Fluid actually looked ok when i was looking it over, but it won't hurt to flush it anyway next time i do pads.

So we'll see if engine mounts might help quiet things down, I'll report back!

adam