General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Expansion cap or HG???

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 10:41 AM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Expansion cap or HG???

Hi experts!

I hope goodness someone can advise me on this one!

My 2002 1.8 Hippo has an idle problem. In that it feels like it wants to stall. There are bubbles in the expansion tank but I since learned that I should not have removed the cap to check this. Duh.

Anyway when I put the expansion cap on it does not tighten properly. It clicks round like a medicine bottle would, click click click, without becoming tight.

Is it possible that this is causing lack of pressure and causing the rough idle?

Otherwise everything points to The HG as its teaching temp very quickly and fan kicks in on short journeys. No loss of temp though....yet.

Any thoughts?

Old 09-09-2013, 11:42 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Many Rover heat gauges on various models are programmed to stay "normal" over very wide span of temps. Would suggest you have this checked with a scanner that plugs into the OBDII port, a lot of autoparts stores do this for free to check for codes. You may be able to talk them into showing off their live data reading capability.

Buy a new cap if any doubt. Has to hold pressure.

Old 09-09-2013, 11:55 AM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply Savannah....And if its not holding it could it conceivably cause this type of rough idle? I will get the temp checked and will change the cap tomorrow

No other real signs of HG, no mayo, no smoke etc.

I could really do without THAT bill, particularly as I bought it with it done around 7k ago....allegedly!!