General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Experienced assistance requested.

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 02:58 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Experienced assistance requested.

hi guys, I am not a common poster but a common researcher here, since ever.
first off all i want to let you guys know that before typing this i was through the forum and did not found a clear answer and thats why I am posting this:

-vehicle: discovery 1997 v8 4.0 engine.
-miles: 132k and counting.
-service: every 6 months(last at 03/06/11) (oil(syntech), oil filter(k&n), spark plugs(Champion), radiator(all the time using the red coolant and distiled water) service and fuel filter) air filter (K&N) clean up and general inspection every month.

now the history: last Wednesday i was driving from home to work (75 mph) a mile before getting there suddenly temperature start to raise up, got to work before the marker touched the red spot and turn it off, open the hood and the right hose from heater to engine was broken and leaking like crazy. close the hood and got to work. after 9 hours went back to my car, turn it on and drove to pepboys bought a hose and replace it, bought red coolant and all that good stuff. try to purge the system but engine was warm and couldn't do it as i wanted to.(did the best i could at the moment)

on my way to home i started to sporadicly lose power on the gas(i always use 89 octane bp fuel) it was cutting the fuel for a second, this happened more than 10 times in less than a minute, the over heating came up again, just to mention electric fan was running as it should(fan shroud is custom made to fit the complete rad.) obviously start hearing the stupid bubbles due to the poor work of purging the system that i did. stood there untill engine cooled down, drove to my house with no issues after that, at the next day i did a pretty decent job on getting out the air from the system. that day everything went fine. the next day while going to work watter temp reached 3 4th´s of the measurement bar. and that same day at night i was leaving to san felipe for the baja 250.

that day at night while on the road the stupid cut off gas issue came up, it was a pain in the ***, temperature raised up again and had to stop, from there and on it was an issue to regained speed since it was cutting fuel every single time until i reached the 50 mph and cruise there for a few minutes the the issue dissipated but at that point i was again running hot. i couldn't enjoy the weekend due the frustration.

same history on my way back but got kind of tired and removed thermostat.

unfortunately there is no LR dealer or LR certified mechanic on the area that can help me out.

NO EXTERNAL OR INTERNAL ANTIFREEZE LOSS.

all the work done to my car has been done by me using the information that you guys provide and by the research over the experiences that you guys have gone through.

main questions is: what is causing the fuel cut? what is causing the engine to over heat that much?

+++ IF YOU NEED PICTURES OR QUESTIONS ARISE PLEASE LET ME KNOW +++

REMEMBER I AM BY MYSELF AND I WANT TO GATHER AS MUCH INFORMATION AS POSSIBLE BEFORE BUYING SOME EXPENSIVE PARTS.

THANKS AND BE CHECKING THE THREAD.

Old 03-15-2011, 12:42 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I got ADD reading your post.....But I gathered that you've been driving your Rover around while it's been overheating and once with a ripped cooling system hose?????? If you miraculously avoided destroying your engine over the last several days, I'd say you've still got a large amount of air in the system, I'd be shocked if that was the only thing wrong. Recheck all your hoses, are you still holding coolant?

As far as your fuel cutoff issues....

#1 : Do you have any codes?

#2 : Start using the required grade of gas for your Rover, using lower octane fuel causes issues, 92 octane AT LEAST.

#3 : When was the last time you replaced the fuel filter?