General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

A few problems. HELP PLEASE!

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2008 | 11:20 AM
|
1st Gear
Default A few problems. HELP PLEASE!

I'm brand new to this forum and have been researching things about my girlfriends 2000 Land Rover DiscoveryII to see if I can fix any of her problems. Here's the issues with her car.

1- When you lock the car (using the key fob)all of the car doors lock, then when you unlock the car (again with the key fob) all of the doors unlock except the driver's door. You must use the key to unlock the driver's door.

2. All of a sudden one day her radio turned off and now everytime you turn it on it says MUTE across the screen. It has said this for about 2 months now no matter whatI do.

3. Because of the radio saying MUTE I decided yesterday I'll try an easy trick to see if it resets the radio. I disconnected the Negative side of the battery and pumped the brakes toget all of the energy out of the car. I waited a while thenbolted the negative side back on, it sparked a little bit, which i'm pretty sure is normal. That didn't work so I pulled the radio fuse from under the steering column and decided to also pull the car locking fuse to see if it would fix #1 up there. I put the fuses right back in after pulling them. Now the car won't start and sometimes has no power at all. Is there some kind of security code I would need to type in after disconnecting the negative terminal or maybe I blewa fuse when it sparked.

Oh and by the way 3 is the most important right now since I can't even get the car started so I would like to get that 1 fixed first. Thanks in advance.

Old 08-12-2008 | 11:27 AM
7th Gear
Default RE: A few problems. HELP PLEASE!

I only have a possible suggestion for #1 - sorry. Although I do recommend you post it under the Disco section. It seems like a little soon for the actuator to go out but that's what happened on my Bronco - try finding a new one for an old Ford! The actuator is the little power motor for the door to unlock. I'm not saying that's what's happening here but it could very well be. I've never been in a 2000 Discovery so I don't know what the locks look like.

When the actuator went out in my Bronco, the other door would unlock with the remote but I had to use the key on the driver's side. WD40 worked for a little while but then it just went kaput. Hope that helps or at least gets the gears churning.