Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Disco II owner: Need help on a few problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 05:45 PM
Winching
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default New Disco II owner: Need help on a few problems

Just bought a 2002 Discovery II with 78K today. Have a few problems that need resolving.

1)-Driver's door window occasionally goes down OK then back up with a clunk like the regulator is loose in the door...........other times,...it will only go down about 1/2 then stops. The passenger side window does nothing.

2)- Check engine soon light is on full time. Checked gas cap..............its something else.

3) Sunroof is inoperative.

4)do I need to run premium fuel?

5) What kind of gas mileage should I get in this vehicle?

Old 08-26-2008, 10:02 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Disco II owner: Need help on a few problems

1. yes, bad window regulator. That and doorlock actuators are common failures. Check roverlandparts.com for good used parts or atlanticbritish.com for new ones
2. Could be 1000 things, O2 sensors, etc. Go to autozone and get the codes read, report back and people can help you from there
3. Check fuses first. I believe the sunroof fuses are under the seat, double check your manual as I've never had problems w/ mine (knock on wood). Bad motor is possible, but check the easy stuff first.
4. Yes, 93 octane if you can get it. These motors run rich and carbon up easily.
5. For me the standard specs have been pretty dead on. 12mpg city / 18 highway. I've gotten 20 on flat or downhill drives, but 16-18 normally on the highway in my '04.
[align=left] [/align]

Old 08-27-2008, 01:03 AM
Recovery Vehicle

As far as the sunroof goes, I'm pretty sure (don't quote me on this) Discos have a system that will stop the motors any time something is blocking them, so it's possible that gunk and other crap in the tracks will cause it to stop, so before replacing the motors or anything expensive you may want to try just pulling it apart and cleaning everything out and then spray some lube in there. Welcome to the club

Old 08-27-2008, 10:42 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

90% of the check engine lights on in LR's is because it needs a good tune up.
Now here is the part that sucks, because you have a DII it is about a 5 hour job for the DIY'er and if you do not use Magnecor spark plug wires you WILL be doing the job again in a month.
LR's have a all aluminum engine and it disipates heat like the sun so it bakes plug wires. And I mean BAKES them, alot of guys who didnt know better bought plug wires from Advanced Auto Parts, they even bought the best ones that they offer, and in a month...needed new plug wires.
YES, you MUST use premium gas, didnt do your research did you? If you use regular you will loose 2-4mpg and you will be doing tune ups every 10,000 miles because the spark plugs will be so fouled that they wont fire.
Now look at it this way, with the "ten cent spread" it will cost you an extra $4 for 20 gallons of gas, but you will average an extra 50 miles on the same 20 gallons VS regular.
(ten cent spread, regular...$3.80, mid-grade...$3.90, premium...$4.00, this is standard pricing practice for gas stations)
You also must have the front driveshaft rebuilt with greasable u-joints, if you do not and the u-joint fails it will destroy your transmission.
These trucks are like high priced prostitute, expensive but worth every penney.
Enjoy your new truck.

Old 08-27-2008, 01:16 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I run premium here in North Dakota for 2 reasons. 1. It's required by the LR and does make a difference. 2. Premium is cheaper than regular most places up here. Figure that one out.

Old 08-27-2008, 01:24 PM
Mudding

Looks like I'm moving to North Dakota!

ORIGINAL: AK Rover

I run premium here in North Dakota for 2 reasons. 1. It's required by the LR and does make a difference. 2. Premium is cheaper than regular most places up here. Figure that one out.

Old 08-27-2008, 01:30 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

ORIGINAL: AK Rover

Prove it, take your camera and post a pic.
Around here when the premium goes stale in the ground they lower the price so that it is less than regular.