General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Front drive shaft broke.

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2014, 08:16 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front drive shaft broke.

Hi folks, new to the group. I own a 2003 Discovery. Recently the front drive shaft broke loose form the transfer case. Now it will not go into gear, any gear. Is it possible the tranny linkage was damaged or has it sometime to do with being AWD. Thanks Sam

Old 12-08-2014, 09:27 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts

Welcome to the forum. The front drive shaft breaking is a somewhat common problem on these vehicles due to the factory u-joints not being grease-able. Often when the drive shaft breaks (if at speed) it will smash into the transmission knocking a gaping hole in the case. If the transmission is not able to shift into a gear, this is possibly what has happened. Time to crawl underneath it and look for damage.

Old 12-08-2014, 09:47 PM
4th Gear

I haven't noticed and fluid leakin from the the tranny, just some from the seal where the u joint attaches. Think it could have damaged the linkage

Old 12-08-2014, 10:08 PM
Mudding
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

What exactly do you mean when you say it won't go into gear? Like the shifter won't move or just that it doesn't go anywhere when you shift it into gear? With the driveshaft broken and an open center diff in the transfer case, it's normal for the truck not to move if one of the driveshafts is disconnected/broken.

The shift cable is on the opposite side of the trans from the driveshaft, the driveshaft would be more likely to destroy the rest of the transmission before it would affect the shift cable.

Old 12-09-2014, 07:50 AM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

^ that. If it is in gear and not going it is the lack of driveshaft
If shifter will not budge check to see if brake switch is working. (Can you hear it, lights working)

Old 01-12-2015, 06:26 PM
4th Gear

Thanks Lord Morpheus. After closer inspection that's what it is About a 3" hole in the tranny case. Guess I'll be replacing it and drive shaft when I have the money or may sell it as. Anybody want the piece of junk? Make me an offer

Old 01-12-2015, 07:05 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,512 Likes on 1,239 Posts

A location would help if you are looking for offers. That said a used transmission isn't really that much money for these. Especially if you are doing your own work.

Old 01-12-2015, 07:30 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 142 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by samsax100
Thanks Lord Morpheus. After closer inspection that's what it is About a 3" hole in the tranny case. Guess I'll be replacing it and drive shaft when I have the money or may sell it as. Anybody want the piece of junk? Make me an offer
Drive shafts don't just fall out because of bad design. It's usually the incompetent owner/operator failing to rub a few brain cells together and check out the vibration. Before it grenades.
But clearly it's the piece of junk truck's fault.

Old 01-12-2015, 10:31 PM
4th Gear

I'm 57 yo and have been driving since I was 13. Never in all the years had a drive shaft come apart. I had only owned the rover for a couple months and thought maybe the roaring was inherent to the Rover. From what I've read here it is a bad design, no zerk fittings. Incompetent hardly. I'm an industrial maintenance tech and repair things much more complicated than a vehicle. I came here for advice not smartass remarks.

Old 01-13-2015, 12:01 AM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

noted.......but I have been involved with about 2 dozen drive shafts (twist, split, strip, crack, separate, etc ) break......even pole vaulted a couple of times, and only 1 was on a rover. I think he was suggesting that the lack of lube/maintenance (p/o) from neglect was the cause, not the truck.

Last edited by dusty1; 01-13-2015 at 07:17 AM.

Quick Reply: Front drive shaft broke.