General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Front Fog lights Won't Work

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 07:05 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Fog lights Won't Work

Hey folks,
I am new to Land Rovers and this forum. I just purchased a 2000 Land Rover Discovery in excellent shape. It has some minor repairs to be made, but I can't figure why the front fog lights won't work. I checked the bulbs which are good. Is there a fuse just for the front fog lights?? if so, where would it be? I don't have a service manual but just ordered a manual on DVD. Thanks. I hope I don't have the problems that these are known for!!

Matt B.

Old 03-08-2010, 08:56 AM
Drifting

check the fuse box which is located under the steering wheel you will need a flathead screwdriver to turn the 2 mounts that hold it up it can sometimes be turned by hand if used enough. once you let the compartment door down you will see a stryfoam piece covering the wires and such romove the stryfoam and voila there is your fuse box. the fuses are labeled on the back of taht compartment door you first open it up if the fuse is good get under the truck and take out the fog assembly. IT WILL BE RUSTY its possible the ground wire inside the light has failed this is very common. take out the assembly and check out the connections to the light. and as far as typical land rover problems ..... srry to tell you but you will have the common problems there just unavoidable with these trucks. but i will say this.. they may not be as severe as some of the things you read on this forum site. best thing to do is keep it tuned as often as possible change you fluids dont just check them and drive it sensibly and your rover will see a good long life we're talkin 200,000 if your good to her. fact is 70 percent of all rovers produced are still on the road today. there just solid trucks and though they have their dinky problems they will outlast alot of domestic suv's thats why their so expensive.

Last edited by KGN96discoSE7; 03-08-2010 at 09:02 AM.
Old 03-08-2010, 07:14 PM
Overlanding

Thanks so much for the reply. I got a hold of the owner's manual and it seems that the fuse for the front fog lights is under the hood. I checked it out and the 15 amp fuse was good. I noticed a relay? for the fog lights in the same fuse box enclosure that I thought was for the fog lights. Maybe I am confused? I was wondering how to tell if this is good? I did notice that there seems to be a little LED light on the fog light switch. I would imagine this is supposed to be illuminated when the switch is on. It does not illuminate. There are two switches to the left of the steering wheel. From the owner's manual one is for a rear fog light which I don't see on my vehicle and the other for the front fog lights. I did remove the fog lights as I am in the process of replacing the front bumper cover. they seem very clean and have good connections. I would think I have some other problem due to the fact that the LED on the switch does not illuminate?? Any thoughts? Thanks again!

Matt B.
Matt B.

Old 03-09-2010, 08:54 AM
Drifting

well the illumination could just be simply the led inside the switch not working. its not necessary for the lights to work. as for your rear fog lights there housed in the tail lights to check them turn you headlights completely on then go look at your tail lamps then turn on your rear fog light switch it is just another running lamp in the rear tail lamp you will see it on unless its not working this is pretty much doesnt go bad unless a bulb is bad. as for your fog lights in the front. to narrow this down take the lamp out and check the bulb itslef on the battery if it lights up its good, ok next take the whole assebly and take the positive and negative and hook it up to the battery if it lights up the assembly is good. i assume you have basic electrical knowlege if not just ask for more help. if the asseblies are good it could be your switch the illumination IS NOT a indication of the switch not working. an alternative to doing all this trouble shooting is to check the assemblies if their working then rig yourself up your own toggle switch with a inline fuse to the fog lamps this will relieve your troubles and work just as well. but if you want the original equip you can check the lamps then the switch could be bad then replace the switch its fairly cheap on EBAY but be sure the led is working like u said u wanted.

Old 03-10-2010, 04:44 AM
Overlanding

Thanks again for the reply. I did remove the front fog lights and checked the bulbs, connections at the fog lights ans the pigtail connector upstream. All good. Fuses were good as well. I made a jumper and put juice to the fog lights directly from the battery and it worked. So I went to look at the switches on the dash to the left of the steering wheel. I lifted up the corner of the dash cap and saw electrical tape and a splice at the switches. I am thinking that this is where the problem is. Either the switches are hooked up wrong or defective. I ordered new switches from Roversnorth.com. I wanted to remove the dash cap directly in front of the steering wheel that the switches attach to. Does this just lift off or is it held in place by screws or clips of some sort?? I don't want to break it!! Thanks again! I'm starting to get "into" this Rover thing LOL.

Matt B.

Matt B.

Old 03-11-2010, 08:40 AM
Drifting

yeah its quite fun to get into except for the $$ for new parts.... could it be that your hitting the wrong switch?? because the front fog light switch is near the clock. if i was you i would run wires for a nice toggle switch it will eliminate trying to mess around with the electrical system in rovers its a bit weird and strange stuff happens constantly it is what i have done and i just found a toggle switch to fit into wher teh fog light switch is it looks kinda custom plus its easy to work on not having to worry about all the other involvements with the vehicle and non working lights.....

Old 03-11-2010, 08:42 AM
Drifting

oh and if you need to raise up the instrument cluster take off the steering wheel column its held by 2 screws in the top and two in the bottom once you get that off ther are 2 screws in the front holding the instrument cap on.