General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Fuel Problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2006 | 04:33 PM
|
2nd Gear
Default Fuel Problem

Hi everyone,

Just a quick history of my problem:
I have a '97 Disovery V8I (Evaporative loss edition) and my problem started when I would try to start it and it would only crank and not fire over. It took maybe five cranks or so and gradually got worse to where it was not drivable. I changed my spark plugs, and fuel filter. I disconnected the fuel line between the tank and filter and turned my key to the on position and no fuel flowed. At that point I realized my pump must be bad. I replaced the pump and it started up and seemed to start OK for a couple of days and then back to the original problem.

At first when I turned the key on I could hear the pump running but now it is silent. It seems like I may not be getting power or there is a short somewhere. Is it possible I got a bad pump even though it was brand new? I did not replace the wiring harness when I did the pump, it looked in good condition. Just yesterday I bought a new gas cap on a long shot attempt to come up with a solution. I also replaced the fuel pump fuse even though the old one looked fine. I'm definitely not getting fuel to the injectors. There is a little valve (looks like a valve stem on a tire) by the injectors that when depressed does not emit fuel. It did when I managed to get it started. The engine cranks fine when I'm not wearing down the battery trying to start it.

Can anyone PLEASE offer any advice? I'll try anything!

Thank you

Old 04-04-2006 | 06:22 PM
Drifting
Default RE: Fuel Problem

Hi Craig ,Paul from the uk ,you sound to me like you deffinately have a fuel problem,maybe down to the fuel shut off inside the car in the panel next to your left foot, if not there it could be the main relay that feeds the fuel pump relay, yes there are two relays , the main relay is powered by the starter switch ,this in turn powers the fuel pump relay.You will have to check to see if you have power to the to the fuel pump relay from the main.Also check all of your earths as they have a habit of coming loose, get back to me and let me know how you get on .

Old 04-04-2006 | 06:35 PM
|
2nd Gear

When you speak of the main relay powered by the starter.....is this the black plastic relay in the engine compartment with two plug-ins? I looked it up on a parts web site and they call it a "multi function fuel pump relay".

I cannot find the the other relay as I have tried. The panel on the drivers side (U.S. drivers side) has a bunch of fuses and one silver relay which is round. I assumed this was the flashers. Am I looking in the wrong place.

Thanks so much for your help.

Old 04-04-2006 | 06:45 PM
Drifting

Will have a look for more info about the US spec vehicles and get back to you, the relay that feeds the fuel pump relay is called the main relay in the UK manual so may need to sort out some terminology so we dont get confused , also i may be able to get you onto the UK landrover web site through public accsess so stay tuned will be back on tomorrow,Paul

Old 04-05-2006 | 12:14 AM
Winching

ORIGINAL: CraigR

this the black plastic relay in the engine compartment with two plug-ins? I looked it up on a parts web site and they call it a "multi function fuel pump relay".
It could be the multifunction relay you describe. But I would first suspect you have a corroded connector at ether the fuel pump itself or the connector in the L/R wheel well. There is a TIB in the States regarding this issue.

Old 06-24-2006 | 09:24 AM
4th Gear

Craig R,
I just resolved a fuel pump issue yesterday. See my new post on trouble shooting the power path for the fuel pump.
A simple check is to remove the two wire connector from the impact cut-off switch located on the firewall just left of center. Its the part with a rubber cover on top, maybe 1-1/2 inches square.
This is the output from the multi-relay discussed previously.
At one of the connector pins should be twelve volts with the ignition completely on.
My problem was arcing at the pin causing melted plastic and a black carboned up connector pin.
It's not too bad once you know where things are.
Have fun and let us know what you find.
Discomech in N.M.

Old 06-28-2006 | 02:21 AM
4wd Low

When you had this problem, did your fuel gauge stopped working as well? Mine did, is the cut off switch connected to the fuel gauge?

T

Old 06-28-2006 | 02:26 AM
4wd Low

What I'm trying to ask is..Can a faulty accident cut off switch cause the fuel gauge to stop woking?

T