General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Fuse blows (#F34) on 2008 RR L322 - please help

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2015 | 09:05 AM
|
4th Gear
Default Fuse blows (#F34) on 2008 RR L322 - please help

2008 Range Rover. While driving yesterday I had turned the A/C on and off a time or two, then it wouldn't come back on. It's like the whole climate control area is dead, nothing happens when try to turn on A/C, etc.
I found a blown fuse f-34, replaced it. Turned ignition switch on and the A/C controls still didn't come back on, not even a blink. So checked and it had blew the same fuse again.

My owners manual lists the circuits protected by Fuse 34 as: "Air Conditioning, Blower, Heated front screen, Heated/cooled seats". It's a 7.5 amp fuse.

Another Range Rover Electrical Library manual I came across lists F34 as "HeVAC Control Module"

Any info on what may be causing this? what I could check next? Can I unplug or disconnect something and try another fuse to help isolate the cause?
Help would be greatly appreciated !

Old 04-23-2015 | 03:40 PM
|
4th Gear

Still need help please. Someone outside of this forum suggested I unplug the blower motor resistor & blower motor, one of which may be shorted. I just pulled the footwell panel, center console trim and footwell vent so I could see the Final Stage Resistor. I unplugged it, put another fuse in and same result, soon a I turned the ignition it blew the fuse. So I guess that rules it out.

I don't know where the blower motor is but about to try to research and try to figure out how to unplug it and then try another fuse again.
Any more suggestions from anyone while I'm working on this last tip sure would be appreciated.

Old 05-03-2015 | 07:50 AM
Rock Crawling

Ok, I'll try to make this as simple as possible...
If you don't feel capable of troubleshooting this issue after reading this post, please bring your vehicle to a professional and let them fix it.
You have a Short Circuit in the wiring harness OR one of these 4 components:
Front Climate Control Module, Heated Front Screen Relay, Illumination, Sport Manual Display, Rear A/C Switch Pack
Disconnect these components one at a time and recheck for a short circuit.
If you still have a short circuit once all the components are removed you will need to locate the short in the harness Green/Yellow wire.
PLEASE BE CAREFUL! When you trace this short circuit, there are lots of Green/ Yellow wires that are NOT part of this electircal circuit.
If it is too difficult for you to access the rear a/c switch pack, you can disconnect Connector 2053. (Listed as step 4)
This will eliminate the entire center console circuit. (Rear A/C, and Sport/Manual display)

Fuse F34 supplies switched ignition power to these components through a Green/Yellow wire

References are listed in this order

Connector Reference #, Pin location, Wire Color, Connector Color, Connector Cavities, Harness

1) Front Climate Control Module.
Connector C1629/1 (pin 1) green/yellow
BLUE
Cavities: 26WY
MAINS LH HARNESS
Climate Control Module

2) Heated Front Screen Relay.
Connector C0994/2 (pin 2) green/yellow
Colour: BLACK
Cavities: 4WY
Harness: MAINS LH HARNESS
R/S Dashboard, Behind Plastic Side Cover
You may or may not need to remove the glove box for access

3) Illumination, Sport Manual Display.
Connector C2656/1 (pin 1)green/yellow
GREEN
Cavities: 5WY
Harness: CONSOLE HARNESS CENTER
Gearshift Housing

4) Center Console Circuit
Connector C2053
BLACK
Cavities: 18WY
Harness: MAINS LH HARNESS
Next to center console, Rear Connector
You maybe able to access this connector by raising the drivers front seat and moving it all the way forward.
If not the seat will need to be removed for access.

5) Rear A/C Switch Pack. Connector C3221/1 (pin 1) green/yellow
GREY
Cavities: 18WY
Harness: CONSOLE HARNESS
In rear of center console

Good Luck!

Last edited by threalassmikeg; 05-03-2015 at 08:00 AM.
Old 05-03-2015 | 08:55 AM
Rock Crawling
Default F34P circuit

Here is the circuit

Attached Thumbnails Fuse blows (#F34) on 2008 RR L322 - please help-f34p.png  
Old 05-04-2015 | 05:49 PM
|
4th Gear

Mike - man you guys are awesome, thanks so much for taking the time to provide this info. First thing I tried was the heated front screen relay. Found it under the plastic fascia covering the end of the dash on the passenger side. Pulled the relay, plugged in a new fuse and presto, A/C controls are working again !!! I live in the south and don't need the heated windshield anyway. Thanks again!!

Old 06-01-2015 | 06:44 PM
|
4th Gear
Default Need help again

Ok guys I sure was glad we thought we had it fixed when we unplugged that heated windshield relay.

Fact is it did immediately fix the problem, but only for a short time, and not completely. Within a few days of my last post and thinking problem was completely solved, it reared it's ugly head again. This time though it's intermittently blowing the same fuse. The fuse would last several days originally and has progressively got worse. Today it's blew 3. Probably 15 fuses in the last month since we thought we had it. Way too hot here to go without a/c. Think there is a second problem? Or still related to that relay? Should we have put something in place of the relay or was it ok to just leave it out completely? Again any suggestions please I'll try anything.

Old 06-03-2015 | 05:48 AM
Rock Crawling

Revisit the area near the HFS relay housing, inspect the harness in that area.
I would suspect the green/yellow wire going to that relay is shorted on the dash frame.
There is a lot of sharp metal around the dashboard frame and You may have disturbed
the wire when you removed the relay pulling it away from the area of contact.