General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

fuse box diagram for a 2003 disco

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 12:36 PM
lor
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool fuse box diagram for a 2003 disco

Hello,

I bought a 2003 Discovery a few weeks ago and we have been having trouble with the battery draining ever since. We bought a new battery for it and it started for a few days and then it went right back to not starting in the mornings. It takes a jump and is fine the rest of the day, but every morning, its dead. Something is draining the battery at night. But what? We figured it might be the radio and cd changer. The radio doesn't work, says code or wait and we don't have the code or any instructions how to enter it. But we started hearing the cd changer running and making noises (while the car was OFF) so we think this might be it, we tried to disconnect it and take the fuses out (under the seat) that we think were going to it, but this didn't seem to help. it did for 5 days actually, but then twice now, it has not started again in the morning. So now we think it must be radio. Can anyone tell me what fuse is for the radio? It does not say in the fuse box under the hood and like I said, we don't have a manuel. Or has anyone else ever experienced a similar problem? Thanks much! Lori

Old 03-08-2010, 08:15 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Lori, Congrats on your new ride! You will find as I have that owning a Land Rover can be challenging at times. They are definitely not maintenance free. Anyway, about your problem, it may help you to download the RAVE manual for the model year you have. Its basically a how-to manual on many repairs and I have found it to be very useful. That should have the fuse panel diagram. One way to solve your battery drain issue is to disconnect the positve cable from the battery, get a test light (available at any auto parts store) hook up the test light between the positive battery cable and the positive battery post. Then you pull fuses one at a time until the light goes out. When it does you have found the circuit that is draining the battery (meaning something is staying on). Also check your battery cables as well.
As far as your radio and cd player, the radio will show "CODE" anytime the battery is disconnected or power is lost. There is a 5 digit code you need to get the radio to function. My suggestion would be to call a local Land Rover dealer with your VIN number and see if they are able to look it up. My cd player did the same thing as yours so I unplugged it. The cd cartridge was missing anyway. If I recall correctly, the plug was in the back of the player and you can reach it from the back side of the front seat-underneath. Let us know what you find.
Geoff

Old 03-09-2010, 05:55 AM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

if it is cold and it won't start try wetting down the starter on the passenger side with hot water to see if it will start. Seen it in older range rover classic starters. if that doesn't work, have it towed to a dealer to see if its something else.