General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Goin on a road trip...

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2020, 12:11 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Goin on a road trip...

This is my first post. Basically just need some reassurance on what I'm about to do.

I have a 2010 L322 Range Rover HSE that I bought exactly a year ago with 109k on the clock at the time (I'm at 117,600 now). Let's just say there were some issues after purchase...I got testy with some ditsy Lincoln Park housewife and her own Range Rover on a side street, so I gave it some gas to go around her, only to blow my coolant hose. So now I look like the fool. But anyway, I stupidly drove it about half a mile while the engine smoked a bit to a parking lot where I could call a tow. Needed the obvious replaced as well as the oil pump, water pump, a bunch of gaskets, etc. Car drove great after all the work (dealership covered it since this happened a week after purchase!). And then came the onslaught of updating and replacing the suspension work, control arms, bushings, a new air strut, sway bar link, and a AES calibration. I've had the oil changed twice (Motul), break fluid flush, and coolant flush.

All of this work was done over the past year, basically spent replacing old parts and repairing pre-existing issues that had been neglected over the previous 20,000 miles by the previous owner (good bit of info to know before purchase).The most recent repair was a doozy, but seems to have made the biggest difference...turns out I was leaking oil from the cover gasket, so that needed to be replaced, and also had the spark plug gaskets replaced as well for good measure. She just had her second oil change and the fan clutch replaced, and is driving great and very smooth.

Now.....in 2 weeks I'm planning on taking a road trip 1,400 miles from Chicago to family out west, stopping overnight to camp in the Badlands. I am stressing the f**k out about this drive and the car making it there and back without any (crippling) problems ;P The specialty shop I go to now has assured me that with the work it's had done, it should be good to go and ready for a trip like that.......I'm just looking for some second opinions I guess and that reassurance? Thank you!!!

Old 05-13-2020, 06:36 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,590 Likes on 1,306 Posts

As long as its acting right your cell phone works I would pack my gear and enjoy the trip.

I also fly across country buy a Rover basically sight unseen and drive it home with little to no worries

The following users liked this post:
motorjon68 (06-04-2020)