General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

hard wiring a radar detector.

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2006, 03:51 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hard wiring a radar detector.

hey all- im a new member here...

I just got a Valentine radar detector, and i want to wire it to the car so i dont have to deal with that cord. I need to find a "switched" wire... described in the manual as one that is off when the car is off and has 12V when the the car is on.

I have a 2003 disco and would like to mount it right above the mirror, near the light. Does anyone know if there is a "switched" wire conviently around there, or am i going to have to feed the wires through the pillars to get to one. If so then where would be a good place to find a switched wire.

Thanks,
Dave

Old 03-23-2009, 07:36 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So, I know this is a really old thread, but I'm wanting to do the EXACT same thing. Anyone have a fix here? My research indicates that the newer Range Rovers have a green/white wire up there that is switched, does the Disco have the same? I do have the Homelink mirror, which is a switched power supply, is that sufficient?

Thanks!

Old 03-24-2009, 10:46 AM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nevermind... I did it. It's very simple, if anyone wants a how-to post just let me know. I took several pics throughout the process.

Old 04-20-2010, 04:27 PM
Overlanding
Default Me

If you still have that write up, I would like to take a look at it. I am about to do the same thing.

Old 01-17-2012, 06:45 PM
1st Gear

If anyone could help me with doing this in my 09 LR2 that would be great. Im not quite sure which cord to use the V1 adapter on. I've also been looking into getting an invisicord if i cannot figure out which cord to use for the regular hard wire.

Old 01-17-2012, 07:11 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I dont understand why anyone would want to us a radar detector, imagine the gas you are wasting by speeding all the time.
Not to mention cops pull over people with radar detectors just because, they will write you up for 5 over just because they know you have been speeding every other time.

Old 01-18-2012, 06:46 AM
Overlanding

That's not true at all, I've had a radar detector in for at least 5 years and have not been pulled over. Seen plenty of cops though. It's more
For peace of mind and keeping me aware of who's lurking out there. As far as mileage goes, if I were that concerned with mileage I would be driving a Prius

Old 01-18-2012, 08:35 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Radar detectors are actually illegal in some places. Where they are illegal cops use radar detector detectors, so keep that in mind when deciding to hard wire it always on or not.

Old 01-18-2012, 12:07 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

Yep, drive thru Virginia and you'll find out about anti detector laws. We have no such law near me, so state patrol sits on top of overpass, shoots selected cars in the "fanny" with laser from slightly above, and radios the six chase cars. Not much back scatter to pickup... And on I-95 if you get stopped, they usually have a K-9 unit standing by to sniff things - drug interdiction - truck gets impounded and sold at auction (govdeals.com). So watch what your pal has in his travel bag....

Old 01-18-2012, 08:02 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

When I was younger I ran a radar detector for 10 years or so, I never went a single year without a speeding ticket or a "fix it" ticket.
Got rid of the radar detector and I have not gotten pulled over since, that was over 10 years ago.

But hey, each to their own.

Quick Reply: hard wiring a radar detector.