General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

hard wiring a radar detector.

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 09:25 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Radar detectors are one of the most worthless wastes of cash on today's market. I can't believe people still think the police, especially highway patrol are not equipped well enough to outsmart a radar detector.

Old 01-18-2012, 09:48 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

JRice - we don't have the model year '09 electrical drawings on the site. So you are on your own. Of course, a simple volt meter will tell you if a particular wire is "energized" when key is turned on. Please use an in-line fuse as well, to protect your device and the wiring you modify.

Also, for those who want a bigger faster macho Disco motor - consider that the police you see closing very quickly in a Ford Crown Victoria Police Package - have a 4.0 liter V-8 under the hood. Not made anymore, highly utilized by law enforcement and taxi cabs all around the US.

Old 01-19-2012, 06:53 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

The Crown Vic Interceptor uses the 5.4L Triton V8, tuned for more power.
Same engine as my work van, virtually bullet proof.

Old 01-20-2012, 12:28 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

My radar detector is still setting on the steps to the basement. I used it when I was driving my RX-7, but not so much with the Disco. Now, I rarely exceed the speed limit, to conserve fuel economy. The local PD has recently purchased some 2WD Tahoes, so, if I am ever decide to break the law and get in some kind of pursuit, I can simply drive off the road and watch them get stuck.

*yeah, yeah....very little can outrun helicopters, but I am a law abiding citizen. I wave to every police car I see, and after driving my car for a few years, most of them wave to me before I wave to them.

Old 01-20-2012, 02:40 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In my younger days, I lost my license because "I can't drive... 55!" and when I got it back, I invested in a Valentine 1. That was the best investment I ever made! More for situation awareness than anything else! I just sent my original Valentine back to the factory for trade in on a brand new one.... Seems mine has been deemed obsolete so they are sending me all the latest stuff. As for Virginia... They are a mother with their detector laws. That being said, I have a cousin who is a former engineer with a lead foot (he designed race engines for Honda in the days of Cart series, then did the Panoz LeMans engine, then NASCAR for several years with Yates and Rousch before retiring and becoming a Philosophy professor. Anyway, he did an engineering study and discovered that the Valentine is the ONLY radar detector that emits 0 signal of any kind. He bought it because multiple trips through VA to MD visit the GF would be much quicker if he could roll under the radar. Several thousand miles back & forth through VA with his Valentine running the whole way and not once was he ever sniffed out. The key is mounting it where it cannot be seen. There is an app for iPhones where you can plug it in to your phone and have the display show on your phone, or with BMW, theres a module that shows the display in your DIC. My brother also runs a Valentine daily in his M3 and 540i and has never been sniffed out. I run mine up there on trips to visit.... On my old Volvo V70R, I placed it under my dash cover and cranked the volume up... Others I've hid it between the seat and headrest on the pass side. To be safe, I've had the cord within reach so I could yank it down quick and disconnect it. There are ways to beat Johnny Law if you want to.... Of course I suppose I could just slow down... Nah. :-)

Old 01-20-2012, 04:04 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

re: The Crown Vic Interceptor uses the 5.4L Triton V8

Perhaps also - but I have two at the office with 4.0, 178K and 260K, and the Interceptor badge on rear, 140 mph certified speedometer, etc. Quick enough where I swapped out the cluster with a regualr 120 MPH regular one to remove temptation from young drivers we have...

Also - years ago in Texas they had radar triggered cameras under overpasses. It would snap a picture, you have front tags also in Texas. The ORBIS system would allow police to send an 8X10 photo along with speeding ticket to car owner, picture showed tag, date & time, and who was in front seat. They eventually took them out as so many were shot by men unhappy that their wife had been mailed a photo of them driving 106 mph at 2:15 AM with their secretary sitting way too close.....

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 01-20-2012 at 04:34 AM.
Old 01-25-2012, 05:27 PM
4wd Low
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could use an inexpensive fuse tap to get switched power directly from the fusebox. Just look for something that is only "on" when the truck is running, like the fuel injection system, etc.