General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Heater fan problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2005, 11:12 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heater fan problem

Hi everyone,
Im hoping someone might be able to suggest a possible proplme for this....
My heater fan used to be somewhat intermittent. If if didnt work a tap or knock to underneath the dash would resolve it. I dont think its the switch thats the problem and it definatley not the fuse. Anyway, it stopped working completely yesterday and the fuse is still fine. Anyone have this problem before?
I presume theres a connector to the heater unit. Is this accesable without taking the dash out?

Thanks

Tony

Old 10-19-2005, 09:01 PM
4wd Low
Default RE: Heater fan problem

What kind of car?
The Disco 1 has the heater blower under the passenger side glove compartment. Its right there behind a drop down panel. I removed the glove box for more love there. General Stuff:
I have found with other cars. If the motor is going bad, the fuse blows...or sets on fire in Volvos. If a banging on the dash helped, it may be the switch. An easy way to tell is to pull the motor, and hook it to the battery directly. This also leads to visions of motors hooked all over the car being used for many rube goldberg devices!..so beware. This sounds hard, but pull it with the fan attached, and be damn careful when you hook it to the battery, as that fan WILL take your fingers off. So make sure it is well clamped to something. perhaps make a jig out of plywood and bolt it to it.
Good luck, let me know, been through this in the winter in OHIO with quite a few cars. Now living in Socal, I have no idea if the Disco's fan works or not, but its been rewired to a remote switch, as the original slide switch packed in.

Old 06-16-2006, 08:28 AM
4wd Low

Hi,
I have an internittent fan on my freelander 01TD4. I think its the power connector to the fan itself thats dodgy. If it tap it with my foot or wiggle the connector it comes back on. The fan is located in the middle between the passenger and drivers footwell. I suspect the power connector has a dry joint or something along those lines. It definately wasnt the switch in my case. Let me know how you get on.

Tony

Old 06-17-2006, 08:22 PM
6th Gear

Hi Tony,

I experienced a similar problem with my wide's disco and went so far as to replace the dash switch which did not resolve the problem. I discovered that one of the relay's under the passenger side dash is not working properly. It is the one encased in a black rubber cover.

My new problem is where to source this part. I can't seem to find any reference to it online. You can see my slightly more recent post.

Hope this helps,
Peter

[IMG]local://upfiles/3147/B723DBE38C1D4694A045149B58A560E9.jpg[/IMG]