General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

HELP! 06' LR3 Won't start, AGAIN! (Re-Post from LR3 Forum)

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 11:38 AM
8th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation HELP! 06' LR3 Won't start, AGAIN! (Re-Post from LR3 Forum)

Thank you all for taking the time to read this and possibly help. I have been having this problem off and on for 2/3 of the 2+ years I have had the vehicle. I love the car but it's just getting to the point that it's not reliable. Last time this happened, I was in the mountains of West Virginia camping and had to have the car towed to Chantilly, VA. Thank God I had the extended LR warranty and the tow was covered. Would have been almost $1,000!! That being said...

The car will be running fine and have no issues whatsoever. All of the sudden, I will go out to the car later on and it just won't start. The first time it was in the dealership, they said that it was the battery. I paid $150 for a new Interstate battery and it worked fine for a couple of weeks. Then it happened again. This time they had the car for 2 weeks and claimed it was some kind of 'top dead center sensor'. They replaced that, I paid my $100 deductible for the warranty and off I went. This time it lasted a few months. I went to start the car and it started but as I pulled out of my driveway the car lowered and then stalled. I turned it off and restarted it and all seemed to be fine. Net occurrence was in West Virginia. I made a 400+ mile trip from my house with no issue making multiple stops along the way. I get to my destination and turn the car off. I go to start it to move it a half hour later and it's dead again. I have it towed to LR Chantilly, VA. They have the car 5 days and tell me it's a 'starter solenoid relay' or something. I pay my $100 deductible, again, and off I go. As of 3 weeks ago, I am now out of warranty. I go to start my car the other day and here we go again. I turn the key and nothing. I try again and I hear a clicking sound for about 2-3 seconds but nothing else. I test the battery voltage and it's fine. I leave it be for the night. Next day, I borrow an electric battery jumper and try to jump the car. Nothing. Out of desperation, I decide to put the car in reverse and push it a couple of feet to see if maybe getting the engine to turn once or twice will get it to start. Now I try to start the car and it makes the clicking sound for about 10+ seconds but still won't start. I don't want to get rid of this car but I just can't afford to keep dumping money in to it at LR's oh so reasonable labor rate of $120/hr.

Any help or suggestions would be VERY much appreciated!
Thanks,
Larry

Old 01-03-2011, 11:39 AM
8th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Update...
I went out this morning to give the car another try and it started right up. I let it run for a few minutes and then turned it off to see if it would start again but no dice. Back to the clicking.

Old 12-01-2020, 12:35 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wayyy late on this but I had starting problems with my 06 lr3 for two years and threw countless dollars on it. Yours sounds more electrical than mine, It ended up being a fuel pump problem, had it cleaned and started good as new!