General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Help with 1994 Disco 1 wiring

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 09:46 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with 1994 Disco 1 wiring

I just recently purchased my first Rover, I love it but it has a few issues. I have built Toyotas for years and this is new to me so any help would be great. Here are the specs on the Rover 1994 Disco 1 with a 3.9 and 5spd manual transmission, here are the problems I have found so far.

Spedo does not work
Tach does not work
SRS light stays on and pulses
ABS light stays on
If it sits for 2 days something kills the battery (new battery)

It runs like a top and drives great, I am getting ready to do a bunch of work to it but I need to fix this stuff before I dump a lot of money in it. So any help would be great. I have checked all the fuses and connections and fixed a few wirirng issues but I cant find it HELP

Old 08-03-2009, 01:38 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's a trick for locating or at least narrowing the area down. Unhook one of the battery cables from the battery. get yourself one of those probe type electrical testors(has a pointed end a light and a cord with an alligator clip on the other end}. Anyway clip the alligator clip to the battery post and connect the point to the cable {use vise grips or a clamp} If you have something drawing juice out of your battery (a short or open circuit) the light on your testor will light up. One by one pull out the fuses. If you pull one out and the light stays on put the fuse back in and keep pulling fuses and putting them back till you hit the one that makes the light go out or dims the light you may have a couple things drawing juice. Make sure your dome light and under hood lights are off. If you go through all the fuses and don't locate it. Start disconnecting wiring harness plugs one at a time, reconnecting them before going onto the next plug. I have a 95 and had a battery draining short. It was the fuel pump fuse under the hood. I traced it down to a wire someone had cut into. Another thing you can do to track down shorts is look for any modifications someone may have made like aftermarket stereos, trailer light harnesses etc. Usually shorts can be traced to someones careless work or inexperience. Hope this helps. I once found a short in an mgb. The battery kept going dead. I tracked it down through the fuse box. I narrowed it down to the trunk light. I got in the trunk and closed the lid. The bracket holding the switch had gotten bent so the lid didn't push the switch all the way down. You couldn't see the light was on with the lid closed. The guy had spent a small fortune trying to get it fixed and I located it in 15 minutes. The trouble light is an essential tool with lucas wiring.