General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Help: ATF Leak from bellhousing drain "wading plug"

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2015, 09:34 PM
Mudding
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Help: ATF Leak from bellhousing drain "wading plug"

Hello Guys.

I hope all of you are fine!

I am working in a 300tdi installation in a Disco 2003 and today I finally was able to turn on the engine a few seconds! YEESSSSS!!!! But.... but but..... immediately, some ATF starts leaking from a hole located in the bellhousing of the gearbox. This hole is a big one, and it is supposed that there is a plug to drain water after wading. The location of the hole is exactly in the lowest part of the bellhousing, in front of the access plate which is located under the bellhousing.

The leak appears only when the engine is turned on. As soon as the engine is turned off, the leak continues but only until the remaining ATF inside the bellhousing finishes.

I was going to just put a plug there, but after searching, I have found some threads in this forums which explains that there must not be any kind of oil inside the bellhousing.

Since this is a diesel conversion and I had a 300tdi automatic gearbox, I requested a couple of guys to take out the bellhousing from the diesel gearbox and put it on the V8 gearbox. Now, the setup is of a V8 auto gearbox, a 300tdi bellhousing and a 300tdi engine. I did not participate in the installation of the gearbox, so I do not have more details or more information about how it was assembled inside.

Any idea about the leak? is there any common failure or mistake that can lead to this leak? Help will be welcome!!

Thanks in advance for your help!

Old 12-28-2015, 02:36 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 218 Likes on 192 Posts

The torque converter is possibly not seated correctly probably because the V8 and TDI auto's are not compatible or interchangeable.
You would need to swap in the tdi input shaft as well as the valve body so that you get the correct shift points for the diesel engine.
Use the tdi auto trans if its in good condition, the V8 trans in a D2 is electronically controlled so wouldnt work properly any way without the ECU signals.