General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

HELP!! coolant leak,Overheating, Any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 10:42 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!! coolant leak,Overheating, Any ideas?

Hi i have a 2001 landrover disco 2 with 108k recently ive been stumped on where to go from here. There truck will drive and shift great but it over heats pretty quickly so i have had it sitting for the last two weeks because i noticed a bad coolant leak but have no idea where it is coming from. the valve gaskets are leaking but that shouldnt cause it to overheat correct? maybe the waterpump? Radiator? It seems to be smoking from the throttle body. i didnt think it was the head gaskets because the oil wasnt milky and the car still drove fine. Please any ideas will help. I dont do the work on the truck i have a few freinds who do the work but they dont want to tear it apart until they have a good idea of whats going on.

Thanks
Feel free to give me a call or text if you have a good explination to why this is happening
Bryan
267-443-3222

Old 03-26-2012, 10:57 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Could be the throttle body heater puked, there is an update kit available to fix this issue. Don't drive it, whatever you do. You'll just end up trashing the engine. Could also be the intake leaking at the coolant ports. Grab hold of the water pump at the pulley and see if there is any play in the bearing, if it moves at all you need a water pump.

It's overheating because you have a leak, so find the leak and fix it.

Old 03-26-2012, 11:01 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Where the coolant is leaking will certainly impact repair costs. A head gasket can leak external, and not into oil. See pix. This one leaks both ways, but if gasket blown out just on the outside, then just water leaving the block. That rectangular slot is the water opening, both front and rear of each head.

Could be the throttle body heater gasket - see Throttle Body Heater Plate Kit (Genuine Part # MGM000010) | Land Rover And Range Rover Fuel System Parts

Can also be just the valley pan gasket, and head gaskets are OK.

If water pump, usually at front of engine. Pump may wobble. Cheap to fix. Head gaskets, not so cheap ($300 parts, $200 machine shop, 12 hours shop time).

Valve cover gaskets usually leak oil and are easily snugged up.

If you can't find the leak, consider rent/borrow a coolant pressure tester, pump it up to about 18 PSI and you will find the leak.

Attached Thumbnails HELP!! coolant leak,Overheating, Any ideas?-hg%2520rear%25202.jpg  
Old 03-26-2012, 11:12 AM
Drifting

Thanks ill see what i can find out. i dont see the coolant leak when i add coolant on the side of the throttle body but when i add water i can see it dripping from a few places on the gasket going around the throttle body? they are valve gaskets? like i said i am not a mechanic and dont regulary work on cars but have been working on this rover quite alot with my friend. i will check the waterpump and try to pin point where the other leak is coming from. where is the best place to rent a coolant pressure tester? thanks

Old 03-26-2012, 11:48 AM
6th Gear

its overheating so first check on where the leak was and then solve that problem first.

Old 03-26-2012, 12:03 PM
Drifting

i just bought a waterpump so i will try that first. ill keep you guys updated thanks alot for all the help

Old 03-26-2012, 02:32 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here we go again folks! Lets see how much money this one spends throwing parts at his truck instead of actually trying to find the root of the problem.

If you just want to throw money away I'll PM you my address!

Old 03-26-2012, 07:14 PM
Drifting

I asked for help not for you to be a dick. I found the water pump had a wobble and a small leak so I decided to try that first. If you have nothing helpful to say keep It to yourself because your not helping. Not everyone is a senior member and knows everything about a rover. Don't post on my thread thanks

Old 03-26-2012, 07:37 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

You may have more than one problem. If you look at the link for the throttle body kit from Atlantic British, you will see it has a small gasket. These frequently leak. If it is not close to freezing where you are, you may disconnect the hoses in/out of that device and use a hose repair splice and clamps from auto parts store to bypass it. It keeps throttle from icing up in cold weather. If that is the leak, then repair parts are cheap.

Most auto parts stores loan speacialty tools, you pay a deposit and get it back when you return the kit.

A wobbly water pump is also a serious issue. They can leak, and if they go long enough the fan can come off and tear up radiator and hood (and you if not careful). Please keep in mind that many times the fan clutch will also fail about same time as water pump. You may wish to eval fan clutch before repairs start. Cold engine, spin fan and release - should go maybe 1/4 turn, feel like peanut butter inside. Warmed up engine, stop and spin again. After release, should be less than 1 turn. If it freewheels, replace. $50 write up in tech section for a Chevy cross over.

As for senior members knowing anything, I'm certainly proof they don't. Senior is assigned by the site based on number of posts, not quality of material in the post. Some very wise wrench wizards post once in a while, but have very low numbers of posts. Others, like me, are the offspring of an auctioneer and a woman; and we are just naturally verbose.

But please listen to those who say find the leak, an overheating truck will hurt the head gaskets and more very easily. And let's agree on overheat - my definition is anything above 50% on the gauge. Don't wait for it to go to 3/4 or 7/8, etc.

Old 03-26-2012, 07:42 PM
Drifting

I appreciate it very much thank you I am going to check everything you have said because you seem to be very knowledgeable on the subject that's awesome I will do the water pump and see what else I can find and keep you updated thanks a lot savannah

Quick Reply: HELP!! coolant leak,Overheating, Any ideas?